16. "Cross Keys Inn"

Start from the beginning

"I just think we might get... distracted..." I said putting my free hand on the back of his neck.

"I don't get distracted." He said lowly. I felt my pulse race as he leaned down to kiss me. His arms slid around my waist, and I felt Sherlock rip his lips away and rush off.

"Like a squirrel," I sighed turning to look for John. He approached me with a key.

"They had two rooms. One for you and Sherlock, I'll take the other. Feel free to come in with me if he acts like a-," John stopped realizing Sherlock wasn't with me.

"Where'd he go?"

"He ran outside," I shrugged walking out, shoving the key in my pocket.

"I'm gonna call Henry real quick; I'll be out," John said, and I stuck my thumb up over my head in approval. I found Sherlock sitting with the man from earlier with the Hound sign. A beer was in front of Sherlock, and I squinted... I don't recall him having that earlier. I walked over and sat next to Sherlock.

"Got any proof?" Sherlock asked placing his hand nonchalantly on my hip as I saddled the bench.

"Why would I tell you if I did? 'Scuse me." The man said when John came over.

(He stands up to leave just as John comes over with his own drink.)

"I called Henry..."

"Bet's off, John, sorry." Sherlock rushed.

"What?" John asked.

"Bet?" the man asked. Sherlock looked at his watch.

"My plan needs darkness. Reckon we've got another half an hour of light..." Sherlock began.

"Wait, wait. What bet?" the man asked, suddenly interested.

"Oh, I bet John and Liz here fifty quid that you couldn't prove you'd seen the hound." Sherlock shrugged. John caught on, and I smirked,

"Yeah, the guys in the pub said you could." John pointed out.

"Yeah, I believe you. Sherlock here owes me fifty too; that is if you have proof..." I smiled biting my bottom lip. I felt Sherlock grab my hip tighter as the man smiled and pointed to Sherlock.

"Well, you're gonna lose your money, mate."

"Yeah?" Sherlock pressed.

"Yeah. I've seen it. Only about a month ago, up at the Hollow. It was foggy, mind – couldn't make much out." The man said.

"I see. No witnesses, I suppose." Sherlock grumbled as I reached over him to the mug of beer. He pulled it away from me, and I frowned.

"No, but-,"

"Never are," Sherlock added.

"Wait..." the man held out his phone to Sherlock showing him a photo. "There." The man said. Sherlock looked at the photograph to see a dark furred creature in the distance, but there's no way to tell the size or what the animal even was. Sherlock snorted,

"Is that it? It's not exactly proof, is it? Sorry, John. I win." Sherlock said picking up the beer glass as if to drink from it but sets it down before he could.

"Wait, wait. That's not all. People don't like going up there, you know – to the Hollow. Gives them a... bad sort of feeling."

"Ooh! Is it haunted? Is that supposed to convince me?" Sherlock spat putting down the glass.

"Nah, don't be stupid, nothing like that, but I reckon there is something out there – something from Baskerville, escaped." He said, and Sherlock was being a total ass.

"A clone, a super-dog?" Sherlock added.

"Maybe. God knows what they've been spraying on us all these years, or putting in the water. I wouldn't trust 'em as far as I could spit." The man added.

"Is that the best you've got?" Sherlock asked nodding his head to the photo. Suddenly, the man lowered his voice.

"I had a mate once who worked for the MOD. One weekend we were meant to go fishin' but he never showed up – well, not 'til late. When he did, he was white as a sheet. I can see him now. "I've seen things today, Fletch," he said, "that I never wanna see again. Terrible things." He'd been sent to some secret Army place – Porton Down, maybe; maybe Baskerville, or somewhere else. In the labs there – the really secret labs, he said he'd seen ... terrible things. Rats as big as dogs, he said, and dogs... dogs the size of horses." He said reaching into his bag and pulling out a concrete version of a dog's paw print. Sherlock stares at it, surprised and John smirked.

"Er, we did say fifty?" John asked.

The man smiled as Sherlock pulled out his wallet and handed John a fifty.

"Ha," John muttered.

"What about the girl?" the man nodded to me.

"She'll get fifty worth later," Sherlock shrugged sulking as he stood up. I rolled my eyes and followed after Sherlock pulling his arm around me.

"Is that a promise?" I smirked. He looked over at me as John approached.

"We're going to head up to Baskerville, Liz how about you stay here?" John asked.

"Um... sure." I frowned.

"No, she can-,"

"Sherlock... how are we even getting in?" John pressed.

"Right... you should stay," Sherlock shook his head. I told him he'd get distracted.

_________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! More to come soon! I can't believe how much I've had to watch these episodes. Yet, they never get old <3

Comment and vote please!