3. "Circus"

"Hey, Liz, who's this?" Tori asked. I smiled at her and looked up at Sherlock.

"Hello, I'm Sherlock Holmes, her date this evening," Sherlock said to her.

"Date?" Tori asked, and I just gave her a "convincing" smile and nodded my head to the box office. "Uhm... two for Tori, sorry Sherlock I didn't know you'd be joining us." Tori said.

"Oh that's alright," he shrugged as we paid for our tickets. I don't know why Sherlock decided to follow me here, but I was glad to get in without him. "One for Holmes." He said, and I turned around to see him paying for a ticket. You've got to be kidding me. "Darling, wait up." He said. Tori stopped walking, and we waited for him.

"Your boyfriend is..."

"Not really my-," I stopped when I felt his lips against my temple. He walked behind us as we stood around a ring of candles, there were only a few other people here.

"The Yellow Dragon Circus! One day they're in London. It fits. The Tong sent an assassin to England... A killer who can climb! Who can shin up a rope! Where else would you find that level of dexterity? I just need to have a little look round the place..." I heard Sherlock whisper in my ear. I turned to look at him, and he vanished.

"Wh-," I began. Tori looked at me in confusion noticing Sherlock run off.

"He's an odd one, Liz," she whispered. A drummer begins playing, and I look around once again for Sherlock. An ancient Chinese crossbow sat in the middle of the ring of candles. The woman who walked out was dressed like a Chinese opera singer. She rose her hand for all of us to get quiet. The drum began creating an intense vibrato, and she pulled a feather out of her head-dress. She laid the feather in the dish of the cross bow and the trigger lowered and released a dart that fired straight into the wooden cut-out of a man. We all gasped, and the drummer began playing again. The woman repeated her movements and retrieved the dart, loading it back in the crossbow. A man came out, and they began tying him up where the board had been.

"Oh my god, what're they doing?!" Tori whispered to me.

"Ancient Chinese escapology act. The crossbow is on a delicate spring. The warrior has to escape his bonds before it fires." Sherlock whispered from behind me making me jump. A sandbag hung above the dish the woman set the feather in and once the man was strapped in she cut the bottom of the bag. "They split the sandbag, so the sand pours out. The weight is gradually lowered onto the bowl. Classic Chinese circus act." Sherlock added.

The man manages to get out, and a loud crash sounded making me clutch onto Sherlock. He looked down at me, almost annoyed, but quickly tapped the top of my head like a puppy. What a way to show affection. Clearly, Sherlock knows nothing about relationships, even if this one was fake.

"Ladies and gentlemen, from the distant moonlit shores of the Yangtze River, we present for your pleasure... the deadly Chinese bird spider." The woman said. Tori and I watched in awe; his movements are swift and graceful as he winds himself into the silken banner and swings like a ballet dancer. I turned to look at Sherlock when I noticed he wandered off again.

"Excuse me; I need to use the restroom," I said to Tori. She nodded, and I walked off behind the curtains to see Sherlock observing a mannequin. "Sherlock what're you-,"

"Look out!" he said pushing me to the ground as the- what I thought was a- mannequin attacked Sherlock. They began fighting, hitting arms together with a few blows to the chest region when Sherlock pointed to the corner. "Hey!" he said when the man didn't fall for it and knocked Sherlock to the ground.

"Hey, asshole!" I barked at the man. I held a can of spray paint from the ground and sprayed the man in the eyes. He fell to his knees, and Sherlock managed to jump on his back and choke the man, but I knew it only was temporary. Sherlock approached me and grabbed me by my elbows looking me in the eyes.

"Are you alright?" he asked searching my eyes for an answer.

"Yes," I said nodding my head, catching my breath. "Sherlock," I said looking behind him.

"What?"

"He's gone." I sighed.

We walked back out, and the show was over. Tori saw us, and she eyed me.

"Where'd you two wander off to? The finale was awesome!" she said.

"Sorry," I said when Sherlock grabbed my arm.

"My mother's in the hospital. We need to go." Sherlock said quickly grabbing my arm.

"Oh my gosh. Let me know if everything is okay!" Tori called to me as he pulled me with him. We caught a cab as he typed away on his phone.

"Is your mom okay?!" I asked worriedly.

"She's fine." Sherlock scoffed as we climbed in.

"She's not in the hospital is she?" I asked.

"Nope."

"Why would you say that-,"

"We need to get to Scotland Yard." He said quickly to the cab driver.

We got to Scotland Yard, and Sherlock walked up to Detective Dimmock.

"I sent a couple of cars. The old music hall is totally deserted." He said.

"Look... I saw the mark at the theater. The tattoo we saw on the bodies. The mark of the Tong. They were part of a smuggling operation. One of them stole something - when he was in China. Something valuable. These circus performers - they were gang members, sent here to get it back." Sherlock said, and I stood there in complete confusion.

"Get what back?" Dimmock pressed. Sherlock looked down at me, then the floor. "Mr. Holmes - I've done everything you asked. Lestrade - he seems to think your advice is worth something... I gave the order for a raid. Please tell me I'll have something to show for it. Other than a massive bill for overtime." Dimmock added, and Sherlock stood there staring at the ground. I went to grab his arm for comfort, but he pulled away, and I apologized to Dimmock, following Sherlock to a cab.

__________________________________________________________________

Comment & Vote Sherlockians! :)