Chapter 1

"Miss Hatcher, may I have a word with you?" Mr. What's-His-Face asks as I try to walk out of his classroom.

"Depends," I say as I turn around to look his way.

"It's about your grade," he sighs as he sets down some papers on his desk.

Oh great, this would take one hell of an hour. I think I'll pass.

"Well . . . then I don't want to talk," I try to leave again but he's stood in my way.

Seriously is he doesn't move, I'm going to launch him down the hallway.

Okay, not really but I wish I could.

"Maybe if you began to pay attention in my class, you wouldn't have a bad grade," he arches his eyebrow as he slides over a paper with my grade highlighted. I look up at him and frown.

"Maybe if you began to pay attention to your life, you wouldn't have a shitty job," I smile as he moves out of my way. I feel satisfied.

"This conversation isn't over young lady!" He shouts as I walk out of his class.

"Oh shut up," I wave him off as his door slams shut.

I walk out of the building and make my way over to the back of school where I always meet up with Elyanna, the sophomore that smokes with me. She's pretty cool, but she's not my friend.

She sits on the grass, against the wall and looks over at me as I get closer to her. She takes off her backpack and tosses it over to me. I catch it and open it up.

I smile as I see the small green container. I look over at her and reach the back of my pocket and take out some money and toss it to her. It falls on her lap and she looks up at me in confusion.

"Thanks for this," I take it out and hold it up.

"You're buying it?" She asks as she stands up.

"Yes, I'm not going home tonight," I smile as I open the container and smell it. I smile in satisfaction. Weed.

"Where you going?" She asks as I toss her backpack back to her and she stuffs the money inside.

"I'll see," I shrug, "You don't have to worry about that."

"Alright well, I have to go," she says as she puts on her backpack and walks closer to me. She fist bumps me and pats my back as she walks by. I look back at her as she walks away to a car waiting for her.

I turn around and begin to walk home. I walk down a street I've been down for about six years. I come across Ian Johnson's house. Oh Ian, the stupid pretty boy mostly every girl likes.

I walk past his house and turn left into my street. I've been living in this same house for a good while now and it's pretty cool.

I'm the reason the neighbors move out.

I'm awesome.

I enter my house and my mom is sitting on the couch, smiling over at me as I enter.

"Hey," I say as I make my way over to her and kiss her cheek.

"How was school?" She asks as I take off my backpack.

"It was fine," I nod my head as I take off my maroon docs and place them by the couch.

"Mr. Crawford called," she informs me as she stands up.

"Who?" I ask as I straighten up my posture.

"Your English teacher," she says as I stand up from the couch, then she follows me into the kitchen.

"Oh, what did he say?" I ask while laughing a little as I open the fridge.

"He said your English is not appropriate," she says as I turn around to look at her. She has her arms crossed in front of her chest.

"How?" I arch my eyebrow.

"My essays are great," I say confidently as I pour orange juice into a small blue cup.

"He's talking about your language," she says as she sits down on a chair.

"Exactly, English language class," I take a sip of my juice.

"Elizabeth you know what I mean," she sighs.

"Okay fine, maybe I say things I shouldn't but that's only because he's annoying as hell," I put my cup down on the kitchen counter.

"It doesn't matter, you need to respect your teacher!" She raises her voice at me.

Keep calm..

"You know what mom, I really don't want to talk about this right now," I say as I walk back to the living room and pick up my backpack from the floor.

She quickly walks over to me and snatches my backpack out of my hands.

"Why, so you can lock yourself in your room and smoke your problems away?!" She shouts in my face.

"I don't smoke!" I shout back. There's a moment of silence as I wait for her response. She looks down and her shoulders fall.

She sighs then looks up at me.

"I've looked through your backpack before," she says quietly.

"What?!" I shout.

"Elizabeth, as your mother I need to be aware of what you're doing," she says as I snatch my backpack out of her hands.

"That is my private stuff, you had no right to go through my backpack!" I shout even louder, that my throat is beginning to hurt. "How would you like it if I went through your stuff?! Damn, you're a bitch!"

Her right hand slaps against my right cheek, hard.

She looks angry, but especially hurt.

Tears form in the corner of my eyes. I look away as she begins to cry and walks passed me and runs upstairs. Her door slams and I feel like the worst daughter ever.

I sigh until I stop my tears and put my backpack back on. I put on my docs and run out of my house. I don't know where to go. I don't have friends.

But I do know someone.

Mauricio Evans.

My childhood best friend.

* * *
A/n: NEW STORY!! YAY ME! 🖤

(sneak peek, you guys have to wait for a little bit until I post the whole book, completed)

- Bobbiewrites

04.22.22 - I'm editing!! I told myself I wasn't going to but I couldn't help but cringe at all the typos and stuff.

03.17.24 - I'm editing again! That editing I did two years ago wasn't cutting it lol.