Chapter 8

The next morning, I was helping Ponyboy cook breakfast when someone came hollering from the door

"Anybody home?" It was Two-Bit

"In here!" I said

"Don't slam the door" Ponyboy said.

Of course, the door was slammed anyways. I rolled my eyes, typical Two-Bit. Steve and Two-Bit came in the kitchen, Two-Bit picked up Ponyboy and spun him around with the eggs flying everywhere.

"Dropped my eggs, dropped my spoon" Ponyboy said, starting to clean the mess.

"Look at the blonde headed monkey" Two-Bit mocked, getting a beer out of the fridge

"I think it suits him" I said defending Ponyboy, while helping clean up the egg.

"So tell me, what's it like being heroes, huh?" Steve asked me and Ponyboy.

"What?" I asked

"A hero, like a big shot even" Steve said giving the newspaper to Pony

"Beer for breakfast Two-Bit?" I asked

"They're charging Johnny for manslaughter?"

I walked over to Ponyboy and looked at the newspaper.

"I mean if he recovers" I said

"Also said how you guys saved dem kids, had they burned to death if it hadn't been for you guys" Steve said

"It's all about us...Darry, me, Soda, and Lucy"

I went into the living room leaving the conversation and turned on the tv to Mickey Mouse. Two-Bit came over and sat on the couch to watch it with me.

"Hey kiddo, morning" Darry said patting my back

"Morning super dope"

Steve laughed and Darry shook his head, going into the kitchen. Soda came out of the shower and I put my hands over my eyes.

"Soda, please hurry and put some clothes on" I said

"Want me to flaunt it?" He mocked

"I rather you not"

Sodapop chuckled and asked Darry

"Have you seen my DX shirt somewhere?"

Even though the gang is here, it doesn't feel the same without Dallas and Johnny. I wonder how they're doing, I mean Dallas only has a burn on his arm but Johnny...I can't even fathom the thought of his whole body burned. I nearly bawled my eyes out seeing him being reeled into the hospital with burn marks all over his body. I just hope Johnny can recover. He doesn't deserve this...he doesn't.