Chapter 3

We had a little run in with Cherry's and Marcia's boyfriends

We had a little run in with Cherry's and Marcia's boyfriends. They thought the boy's were trying to steal them. Of course a fight almost broke out to which Cherry told them not to do. We were all walking home after that. Johnny's parents were screaming at each other as usual. I felt bad for Johnny, he didn't deserve to live a horrible life. He's too fragile.

"I hate when my folks fight" Johnny said turning from the door.

"Let's go to the lot" Ponyboy suggested.

"You guys can go, I'm tired. I'm gonna head back home" I said

"You're heading back by yourself?" Ponyboy asked.

I shrugged

"It's just up there, I can handle myself"

"Okay, be careful" Ponyboy said

I waved goodbye to them and started walking down the street. This is actually the first time I've walked alone down these streets, especially at night. Darry is going to kill both me and Ponyboy. As I walk up to the house, I can see the living room light on. Well, time to lie. I walk into the door and Sodapop and Darry look up at me.

"Hey Lucy- where's Pony?" Darry asked.

"He went to the lot with Johnny" I said shrugging off my jacket.

"So you walked home by yourself?"

And the lying begins

"No, of course not. Two-Bit walked me home. He caught up with us at the movies. He said to say hi to you guys"

Darry just nodded and went back to reading his newspaper. I already knew the look on Sodapop's face. He knew I was lying. Before he could say anything to me, I went into our room. I can hear Sodapop following behind me.

"How was your stroll by yourself?"

I rolled my eyes and plopped onto my bed.

"Okay you caught me, but it was to protect Ponyboy. If I told Darry I walked by myself I would've gotten yelled at and Ponyboy would've gotten it worse."

Sodapop smiled

"You're a great friend Lucy, I mean that"

"Thank you..I'm gonna go to bed, it's been one hell of a night"

"Tell me about it tomorrow"

"Okay, Goodnight Soda"

"Goodnight"

I took off my shoes and started drifting off to sleep.
...
I woke up to the sound of yelling. I sat up and rubbed my eyes then looked over at Soda's and Pony's bed. They weren't there so I looked at the clock and it was 2 in the morning. Oh no, Pony. I sprang out of bed and walked into the living room where I can see Darry yelling at Ponyboy. Soda was right behind Darry, trying to calm him down.