Chapter 28

Darkness had gathered across the Estate.  As the party had walked over towards the main house, strange noises reached Sara’s ears. At first it was rustling noises then whooping and snarls.  Evil and sinister murmurings, were being carried on the soft wind from the boundaries of the Estate as the Har’oloth forces circled it for the night.  She gripped Blaise's hand for comfort letting the massive size and warmth reassure her.

 They headed into the main house for the first time.  As they walked through the main door Sara’s breath stopped. They had entered into a grand hallway, wooden flooring of rich oak clad the floors and extended up into the huge banisters that wound round the stairs leading to the first floor.  The walls were painted a warm ivory colour, heavy oak paneled double doors led off here and there to the many rooms. 

 Thomas ushered them forwards to a single door under the winding staircase.  They passed inside into a massive library.  A long wooden table that could seat twelve people easily stood in the centre of the room where not a wall could be seen.  Bookcases covered every wall filled with ancient looking works.  A full height sliding ladder allowed access to the top shelves.  Thomas climbed the ladder for the far wall and grabbed a rolled ancient looking parchment.

 Rolling it out across the huge table, Sara realized it was a map of the south of England.  Her stomach churned again at the thought of what was coming.  Blaise, Daeron and Thomas poured over the map looking at the hand drawn routes.  She guessed it had been drawn in ancient times there were no traces of modern England on the map.  It was hand drawn and beautifully so with routes that bore no resemblance to modern motorways or roads.  Even the place names were foreign to her eyes. 

 Looking closely, a strange doubling of her vision made her jump.  The routes appeared to hover off the paper the black ink changing colour.  Images of creatures started to form, lining the routes.  The others seemed unaware of these new images or at least did not react if they did. 

 Looking down the route Blaise had just traced with his finger. she watched five cloaked riders form their horses in full flight, heading towards the coast like the wind.  His finger traced further South West and as it passed over a place marked “Nhutscelle” near the New Forest the map suddenly flooded with foul creatures the route glowed red.  Flinching away from the images her tired mind not wanting to see anymore, she walked over to the sofa to take a seat next to Aelthal, who was reading a book chuckling under his breath.

 “My Lady?” he looked questioningly at her while rising to stand.

 Sara caught his arm and pulled him to sit back down.  “I’m sorry I just needed a break for a bit.  So much is spinning in my head that I just need a rest for a while. Do you mind?”

 “Not at all My Lady it is always a pleasure to be in your company.”  He smiled warmly his heartbreakingly beautiful face filled with kindness.

 “Did you hear the noises as we walked over here?”  Knowing he had she just wanted him to put her mind at rest.

 “You don’t need to worry they cannot enter the Estate due to the Wizards Rock.  Even if they did, they would meet a swift end.” He patted her hand gently.

 “The Wizards Rock?” curiosity drawing her into the conversation.

 “Yes it is in the wood where we found you and the mare after the attack on the road.  It was brought from Arantor when Gararran awoke.  It channels the power through the hole to Gararran and powers the Estate’s shield, to use a human word.”

 She thought of the stone she had seen Thomas sat on when she had come round.  Thinking of that time brought a question to her lips

 “One thing has been bothering me.  If the magic stopped me from being harmed while I was mortal, which technically I still am, why did they attack if they could not harm me?”  This question had burned for a while, but she had not had the chance to ask it.