Chapter 19

After saying their goodnights Blaise led Sara from the cottage.  His massive frame moved lightly and effortlessly.  He had shortened his natural stride to the point where she could still walk and keep up with him.

 He led her past the entrance to the stables and on towards the massive house.  It glowed in the lamplight.   A warm amber glow flooded down from many of the windows onto the manicured lawn below.  The sound of running water could be heard coming from a wonderfully lit pond with a stone water feature in it’s centre.  The lawn swept around the pond until it stopped in a crisp line at the edge of the gravel drive..

 “So Thomas and Martha do not live there at all?" Sara asked as she took in the beauty of the rambling house.

 “No, they are happy in the cottage.  It is used for formalities, but that is about it.”

 As they crunched along the gravel drive he steered her left, towards an almost hidden gate in the box hedge.  Beyond the gate, they walked onto a similar flagstone path to the one that led to Thomas and Martha’s small cottage.   As they rounded a bend, a stone cottage was revealed.  It had an ancient feel to it.  Built over what looked like many levels it rambled over the ground totally in keeping with its wonderful surroundings.  

 Blaise walked to a wooden door and lifted the iron latch.  As the door swung inwards, he allowed her past then he ducked through to enter.  Sara walked into a large but cosy living room.  It was dominated by an inglenook fireplace that covered the entire furthest wall.  An open fire crackled merrily in the grate and speckled the ivory coloured walls with firelight.  Wrought iron wall lights were dimmed down to an amber glow adding to the warm and cosy feel.  Large comfy looking sofas were pushed back to the walls on the flagstone floor.  Books littered the warm oak coffee table that stood on the rug in the centre.  Two low wooden doors had been stripped back and waxed to their original light oak colour led off the room.  It was to the right hand door he led her. 

 A flight of luxuriously carpeted stairs lit by more iron wall lights led them up to the first floor where the landing widened out.  Low leaded light windows looked out over a garden that looked inviting and mysterious, she could see pools of light thrown by more oil lamps which studded the darkness.

 “Martha had a bath drawn for you.  You will find everything you need.”  Blaise opened another wooden door, the most heavenly scent wafted out in a cloud of steam.  As she entered the bathroom, the scent enveloped her instantly soothing her senses and clearing her tired mind.  A deep claw foot bath stood in the centre of the beautifully appointed bathroom.  Filled with water and bubbles it steamed merrily.  The bathroom itself was a haven of luxury.  Stone covered the floor and walls, a shower in the corner was built naturally into an alcove and again was clad with honey coloured stone.  A huge overhead shower jet gleamed silver. Open oak shelving that held stacks of plush towels, bottles of lotions and soaps stood next to the "his and hers" basin.

 “Take as long as you need I will just be downstairs call if you need me.” He stepped backwards to leave. 

 His massive frame filled the doorway completely.  His angelic face was clouded.  With that, he was gone, he pulled the door quietly closed behind him.

 The bath was a luxurious delight, she sunk into the deep water and was able to let her thoughts trail away.  The tension and stress of today left her completely.  The bath was huge, she could not reach from end to end.  It dawned on her that this bath was meant for Blaise, a shiver ran through her body.  The bubbles would pop releasing more of the wonderful rose scent into the air that tingled her nose.   Sara dipped under the warm water to rinse the last traces of soap from her hair.  Her eyes closed a vision of silver eyes shimmered in front of her.