30

Your day was going bad as it was, but this. . . This took the cake. This took the whole shucking party with it. Damn woman decided to show her ugly mug to you guys a few seconds before Alby opened the door and you all escaped.

Just as Alby finished his very heroic line, a hologram type thing popped up on the wall opposite you. Of course, Newt was at your side right as it happened. But how was he going to protect you from a 3D picture of your mother? No idea, but he will try.

She stood, tall and proud, with that devilish smile of hers. She seemed nice enough, but once she shows her true colors, all you'll want to do is run. That's exactly what she did to everyone here, at least once before. Terrifying.

She straightened her suit coat and wiped her palms on her skirt. "Hello, children,"

"I'm leaving," You stated flatly.

"(Y/N), please. This is important,"

"Okay. Then don't start off by calling us 'children.'"

"She didn't call us 'subjects' though," Chuck said.

"Not any better," You plopped down on the ground next to Newt, who sat down, also, followed by the others.

She cleared her throats and started again. "Hello, children. As you have come to find out, we have upgraded the Maze. We have concluded that it was a failure, and are stopping the process before it goes too far-"

"Yeah, that's great and all, but why are we here?" Minho interrupted.

"Because WCKD holds a grudge against all of you. Or at least I do. You fooled my mother but I will not be fooled. I will find a complete cure, as my mother did not. She failed the mission and helped the subjects. That is something I will not forgive her for,"

"'Subjects'," Thomas whispered to Minho.

"Shucking creators," Minho answered.

"Stop whispering," Your mother scolded.

Can we do this then? You sent to the guys, just to spite.

"None of that either,"

"God damn. What can you guys not do?" Thomas asked, more frustrated then you've ever seen him.

"Control your actions, make you feel certain emotions. Things as such,"

"You forgot 'hold us accountable for what has happened,'" You said, you could almost feel her anger arising. "You can't blame us, can you?"

"I can blame you for most anything I want. Depends on the situation,"

"Like dad?"

"What have I told you about your father?"

"That I killed him. That he went insane because of me,"

She sighed, like she was done with this subject. "No. That's not what I meant,"

"Not to talk to talk to you about him?"

"Exactly,"

"So you were saying?" Alby ushered her on, like he was in a hurry.

"Of course," She straightened her suit coat and flattened her skirt, bringing back her 'I'm better then you' posture. "As you know, I am the head of WCKD, Ashly Savanna Paige, or (Y/N)'s mother. The second Maze trials were bound to fail, like my subordinates said. I didn't believe them. Now that it has failed, and it is your fault, you must be punished. This was supposed to be a punishment, anyhow. So we are just back to square one. You damned kids helping the resistance. I expected most of you, since some have a history of escaping," She gave an appointed look to Minho and Gally, who just scowled back at her. Then her dark eyes scanned the group again before continuing. "But some I didn't expect to see before me today,"