Chapter 1.

My job was so much easier before science figured out there really were supernatural creatures amongst humans. Get a call, go kill a creature, collect a bounty. Pretty simple and straightforward. Hell, a few others would even clean up the mess if I left a few lying around. Sometimes this costs me a bounty, but then alchemists have been trained to try to cover up supernaturals from the humans.

 Now the Alchemist is used to make sure the dead stay dead once they have been killed. They still have other agendas which they try to keep secret, and they work now with the Supernatural Police Department, as many of them make great investigators. Their number one employer before this used to be the Moroi, a type of living vampire normally with elemental powers. Many suspect it is because of the Moroi that other species have gained elemental powers, even though it is very rare among them.

 Many assume the Moroi can breed with each other and humans only, which normally produces a Dhampir or half vampire. The Dhampir has not been able to breed with another of its type. There are no shortages of them though as Moroi seem to have a thing for humans and if possible would prefer to have sex while feeding. This has caused a major problem in the past because if they kill their feeder in the process they become a Strigoi. A Strigoi are the vilest creatures but is only able to operate in the dark or near darkness of night.

 For many hundreds of years, the Moroi have had the Dhampir as bodyguards to protect themselves from Strigoi. Very few Moroi or Dhampirs have known about other supernatural beings. So only when there has been an unexplained killing have they been sent to investigate and then call in a Hunter such as myself. Ask them why they hire a hunter and the answer is; because we only kill Vampires, translating to Strigoi as they found out there is such a creature as a Vampire but for the most part, they are not as bad as Strigoi are. Strigoi are the kingpins of many illegal activities and prefer Dhampir or Moroi Blood over most other species.

 Vampires have tried to police themselves for centuries to stay hidden from most humans. There are basically 14 generations of vampires. The first generation of them is able to breed true with each other for a single mating. Vampires were created from a fusion of demons with a human. Vampires do not always tend to be as evil as one would think. But then demons are not all evil, they just have a tendency of following their own rules. Vampires do know about Strigoi and have worked with them. Thirteenth generation Vampire is, for the most part, considered the last in the line of true vampires with the 14th generation either being killed or used as servants. Beyond that, they become mindless creatures that care only about their next meal. These are what I have hunted the most. Other than First generation Vampires all the others in-between call their created their children. As far as anyone knows Demons have lost the ability to fuse to make more, or the curse as they call their magic, was either destroyed or lost to them, thousands of years ago.

 It is because of Moroi and Demon blood that other species have gained magic use. Well a lot of, but not all have. Demon blood has been why Humans and others have witches and warlocks etc. Their magic, for the most part, comes from the use of ley lines which most normal people are not able to detect or see. Moroi blood from Dhampirs who have taken human mates and in some cases others, seem to pass on the Moroi trait of using Elemental magic. For the most part, this covers the majority of magic use other than Spiritual magic, which for the most part is not as detectable. Spiritual magic users are the witch doctors and shamans, and even druidic magic that we have heard about in legends. Much rarer and many of which were killed or hunted down by most species as it scares them.

 There is so much more to all this but I am hoping, for the most part, this is the main reason why the Moroi have asked me to attend their last year of classes at one of their Academies. I am to attend and evaluate their new classes in Vampire hunting and killing. Vampires, for the most part, are able to be killed just like Strigoi are.

 Very few know how long I have walked upon this earth, but it seems a Moroi somewhere found out and wants to make sure the Dhampir have the very best training in what they do, now that the world knows about them.

 So they have built me my own special room or house to live in and told the instructors that a very gifted Vampire hunter's daughter, will be attending class to learn more about Strigoi killing and seeing that the new course in vampire killing is up to standards. Damn Royals, wonder what they are going to do if one of the local pack masters decides they want to expand their lands or territories and then attacks them. Guess I will be back for how to kill werewolves 101 then.

 Well, if the directions I got are right, I should be at their Academy soon. I wonder how bad I will freak their guards out tonight? I make a very scary sight riding a custom V8 chopper with over 1100 horsepower between my legs. Standing at just over seven feet tall in my custom combat boots and fighting leathers. With a kukri knife on each hip and no less than five combat daggers concealed on me all with true silver Celtic inlays on them. A must-if fighting creature like werewolves. I also carry custom-made mountain ash wood stakes strapped to both thighs and two in each boot, the tops being larger than the shafts in case they need shoved or hammered in further after the first blow. Across my back in a shotgun scabbard is my trusty M3 Benelli 12 gauge shotgun loaded with solid silver OATH expanding slugs. Strapped under each arm is a Fireball Express semi auto 12 gauge pistol, with the custom packed silver shot.

 Another effect of supernatural creatures all coming out at once or at least the one's science said they could detect nowadays. New arms companies made firearms for the stronger and bigger species. Along with new types of ammo namely silver ammo that cost a fortune to buy.

 I could see the gatehouse lights up ahead, but no movement from the guard or guards inside. Sure enough even as I got closer none of them set an alert off or even got up to see if I was being followed or could even be a threat to them. Ah, but they only killed vampires and their type of vampires, Strigoi only so to speak. I am sure someone reading my first reports is going to be very unhappy.

 By the time I got to the gate picket one of the guards had come out to stand by it to talk to me. So it was true, they were mostly unarmed except for some type of silver stake they carried upon each of them enspelled to kill a strigoi when struck through the heart. Actually, I think the en-spelling part was more to enhance their abilities to detect one before it got a jump on them.

 I slowed to talk to the guard at the gate. Looking down at him even though I was still sitting on my rumbling motorcycle. He was a dhampir, nothing special, they were all in pretty good shape. He was about six foot three of average weight, with dark hair and eyes.

 "Hello miss, this is a private school so I'm going to have to ask you to turn back," he said with a bit of a British accent in his voice.

 "Yes, I know that. I am here for the classes starting on Monday. I believe the rest of my belongings arrived earlier today. I am here for the assessment program." I tell him, flashing him one of my award-winning smiles.

 "Ah, you must be Miss Donna Stonebear. Welcome to the Academy. I hope you had a pleasant trip here." he managed to say while thinking about all the weapons I had strapped on. "Your other belongings and lodging should all be in place as was requested."

 I drove to the parking garage, finding a spot I thought would work best, in case of a fast getaway if needed. Grabbing my saddle bags I headed to the area I believed my lodging should be according to the maps I had studied both from the Academy, and that I had drudged up on the place.

 This would take a few days to get used to, as the campus was very busy for 10 pm on a Friday night, but from what I had gleaned from all the info was that the Moroi kept time fairly close to that of a Vampire, being more active at night than in the daytime. As tall as they are I still felt like a giant among them.

 After finding my lodgings and tossing my saddlebags on my bed, I decided I could unpack the next day. Walking outside I let my nose find the directions to the food shops and headed to them for a quick bite to eat and a strong cup of chai tea.