Chapter 13: The Library

Sophie avoided Mason and chose to sit beside Jason in class. She tried to forget their kiss but her mind kept replaying it. Her heart beat furiously as she remembered how soft Mason's lips were and how warm she felt in his embrace. 

"Why are you blushing? Are you that excited with our date later?" Jason whispered teasingly.

"I'm not blushing," Sophie replied, embarrassed. "It's just hot inside."

"The air conditioner is open, " Jason said skeptically.  "What do you want to do later?"

"Shh, Mr. John is looking at us."

"Awww, you're such a nerd." Jason said, smiling then giving her a wink but proceeded to listen to their teacher. 

Sophie approached Yasmin as soon as the bell rang for lunch and informed her that she will be going to the library and will not be joining them for lunch. However, the truth was that she didn't really want to confront Mason. She went inside the library and walked towards the Physics section since she knew nobody goes there and was shocked to see Jason hiding in between a shelf reading a book.

"Is that Stephen Hawking's book on 'A Brief History of Time'?" she asked, surprised.

Jason jumped, startled to see Sophie and dropped what he was reading.

"It is Stephen Hawking's book! Are you reading this?" Sophie asked, amazed holding the book.

"No?" he said hesitantly, his face reddening.

"Yes, you are!" she said, laughing.

"Geez, Sophie, can you be quiet? We're in the library for God's sake!" he exclaimed.

"Ahahahah! I'm so sorry, I can't stop myself," she said, clutching her sides and laughing uproariously. "Who would have thought that our very own football star is reading Stephen Hawking!"

"Sophie!" Jason said in warning and grabbed Sophie, covering her mouth with his hand and dragged her at the back of the library.

"Hahahahaha! I'm so sorry!" Sophie said, tears of mirth falling in her eyes." You can let go now."

Jason raised an eyebrow and removed his hands, "Can you keep quiet now?"

"Yes," Sophie replied, her eyes twinkling trying to contain her laughter.

"Ok, fine. I'm reading Stephen Hawking. I like the way he explained the  fundamental questions of physics and our existence." he said stiffly. "Just please don't go and tell this to everyone."

"I like Stephen Hawking too and I won't tell everyone. I promise!" she said, raising her right hand. "How come you don't want anyone to know?"

"As if you don't know. People will think I'm a freak!"

"Ah, so it boils down to that. Don't worry, people think I'm already a freak and they will never believe me if I tell them that you like physics." she said, a little bit irked with his statement.

"Sorry Sophie, I didn't mean it that way. It's just that I like football and I'm not really comfortable with everyone thinking I'm this "intelligent"person. I mean what will the girls say?" he said teasingly and giving her a boyish smile.

"Okay Jason. Hmmm...how come you asked me to tutor you in Algebra?" she suddenly remembered.

"Aww, Sophie, you can be so dense. I liked you." he said, smiling widely. "You can be so cute when you teach."

"Hahaha! You are so weird. So tell me, just between the two of us, what else do you read?" Sophie asked curiously. "I promise I won't tell anyone."

"Ok, don't tell anyone, I read science fiction books." Jason replied lowering his voice.

"Really, have you read Frank Herbert's Dune series?"

"Yes," he said "All of it."

"Wow! I think I found my soulmate!" Sophie said excitedly. "How do you feel about watching the new Star Wars movie later?"

"Sure, why not. So tell me Sophie, how do you feel about Hawking's explanation on the origin and fate of the universe?" he asked, looking at her, happy to be able to converse with someone as smart and intelligent as Sophie.

They were huddled in a corner discussing their theories when Mason found them an hour later.

"What are you two doing!?" Mason asked blazing in fury.

Sophie jumped in surprise and looked up to see Mason angrily looking at them. Jason just sat and raised an eyebrow at Mason.

"We were just talking Mace." she said crossly.

"What are you talking about? I must say, I find it curious that you know where the library is Jason." he said sarcastically.

"I would say the same thing to you, Mason." Jason replied back goading him.

Sophie looked at Mason and saw him clenching his fists then turned to Jason who was also starting to get angry. It was so weird how the two almost looked alike. It's like watching Chris Hemsworth and Henry Cavill fight. Thor vs Superman.

"Sorry, Jason, I have to go." she said and took Mason's hand leading him outside the library.

"What are you doing with him?" Mason said, frowning at her.

"I just saw him there and we were just talking. What were you doing in the library?" she asked irritably.

"I was looking for you," he answered and then handed her a paper bag. "I bought you food since I don't think you have eaten anything since lunch."

Her stomach growled at the mention of food and she blushed. Mason laughed and grabbed her hand.

"C'mon, the cafeteria is still open. You can eat there."

They walked together towards the cafeteria and sat down at the back. Mason took the bag from her and opened it, handing her a sandwich.

"Thank you Mason," Sophie said sincerely, biting on the sandwich.

"So, G, I was just wondering -" Mason asked hesitantly.

"What were you wondering about?" Sophie asked in between bites.

"Where are you going with Jason later?"

"We plan to watch the new Star Wars movie." she replied, looking at him curiously.

"That's great! We can double date. Marissa and I will also be watching that movie!" Mason said dishonestly. He didn't have any idea what Marissa wanted to watch but he'll be damned if he will let Sophie watch a movie with Jason. "We can all meet in the movie house by 730. Maybe it would be best if I pick you up."

Sophie's eyes widened in surprise, "Jason said he will pick me up. Are you seriously watching Star Wars? You hate science fiction."

"Of course! I mean it's not purely science fiction. There are lots of action in the movie." he said, flinching inwardly. He hated science fiction.

"Uh huh, just don't go criticizing everything," she warned. "I'll ask Jason if he's ok with the double date."

She suddenly smiled. Marissa won't be able to do anything if she was there. She took out her phone and texted Jason.

-------------------------------

Thank you for reading my story. It would mean the world to me if you could vote and comment. :)