5

Once Ella and Karlie leave, it's only me and Selena. "I'm starting to think there's more to you and Ed than you're telling me," she says as she helps me clean up the cups laying around. "I promise I told you everything. We almost hooked up, and this was the first time we've talked since and ... he kisses me like that," I explain, confused as I stuff the trash with solo cups. "He obviously has something for you," she points out and I shutter. "Ew, no. Ed's my best friend. He doesn't. Trust me." Selena rolls her eyes and plops herself on the couch as I take out the rest of the trash through the trash shoot down the hall. I walk back into my apartment and plop next to her. "Anyways, I think i'm gonna swear off boys and drinking for now. I don't think its good for me, especially with everything happening with Austin," I explain and she nods. "That's a good idea, Taylor." I sigh and lean my head on her shoulder.  "Have you talked to him?" She asks and I shake my head. "No, but his visiting hours are tomorrow." "Where's he located?" She asks and I sigh. "Right in the city." She sits up, turning towards me. "Aren't you gonna go see him?" She asks. I shrug. "Yeah, I guess. It's gonna be so weird though." She nods. "You'll regret it if you don't. He needs you," she convinces me. "You're right." We stare at my wall for a minute, sitting in silence. "I should get going. Go see Austin tomorrow," Selena says after a minute and I nod. She says her goodbyes and leaves, leaving me alone for the night. 

Ed's POV

I race down the stairs of Taylor's apartment complex as quick as I can, knowing Niall is right behind me. "Ed, what the hell?" He calls, trying to keep up. I make it to the lobby and storm out the front door, climbing into the escalade that was waiting for us. Niall climbs in right after me, and we start driving back to the hotel. "Fuck," I yell, throwing my head into my hands. Niall watches me, not knowing what to say. "You have feelings for her?" He asks calmly, knowing I might yell at him for his question. I sigh, looking out the window and watching the city of Tribeca fade through my window as we enter Manhattan. "Yea, I guess I do." He looks down. "Fuck, man." I shake my head angrily. "I'm so mad at myself. She's my best friend. This wasn't supposed to happen like this." He pats my shoulder. "Maybe she feels the same way. I mean, she did throw herself at you that night last week and she reciprocated the kiss just a few minutes ago. She could've pulled away," he points out. "How could a girl like her like a guy like me? Did you see the guy she was pictured taking home with her a few nights ago? He was gorgeous." Niall nods. "But he's not you. She knows you Ed, you've gone through so much together. You have history." "Not a romantic history mate, just friendship," I point out. "Yea, but you sang on tour with her 3 years ago every night. She asked you to come on the red tour with her and you spent months on end getting to know each other even more. That's special." I nod. "I know." 

The car pulls up outside our hotel and the paps are already there, ready to take our pictures. Niall pats my shoulder, and we get out, finding our way in the crowd to the lobby door. Once we're inside Niall and I head to our separate rooms. 

I get into boxers and sit in bed, not able to get my mind off of what I did tonight. I wonder what Taylor did when I left, what she said to her friends. I wonder what she's thinking right now. Maybe she already brushed it off, not thinking twice about it. I know she has bigger stuff to worry about then me.. maybe she's thinking about that Aaron guy I know she was with a few nights ago. I wish it was me. 

Taylors POV

I wake up to the sun peering through my curtains and my phone buzzing with a text. I blindly reach over to my nightstand and grab my phone

1 New Text Message

Ed: Forget about last night.. was really drunk. Meant nothing x

Me: No worries

I put my phone down and climb out of bed in more confusion than I was last night. I thought Ed would at least own up to wanting to kiss me, even if he doesn't want to necessarily be with me. But to say that he was drunk when he obviously wasn't doesn't sit right with me. 

I put on a white long sleeve crop top and high waisted jeans. I put my hair in a high ponytail and grab a granola bar on my way out the door, to the jail. 

Once I step outside my apartment, paparazzi bombard me with questions about Austin and Aaron and Ed and I'm so sick of it. I wish some things in my private life could stay there, which is probably the most difficult part about being in the industry I'm in. The upside is that since I've taken a break from music it's slowed down a bit, which I've really needed. 

Its only a twenty minute drive to the correctional facility that's located right outside the city. The judge had placed Austin here because it's not a big federal prison, it's just a correctional facility where people who got charged with minor criminal crimes can serve out their time, which is usually shorter than a year. This actually made me feel a lot better, knowing that my brother was probably not gonna be gang raped. Okay, probably not funny but it's true. I'm pretty sure that happens in jails. 

Once I check in, the guard leads me to a small room full of tables with 2 chairs at each. One on one side of the table and another on the other. He leads me to an empty table and I sit down, following instruction. "Only 10 minutes per inmate, no touching except for a hug hello and hug goodbye. Keep the noise down," the guard informs me as if he's monotoned these instructions off a hundred times, which he probably has. I nod in agreement and see a guard escorting Austin over to me. Once he gets to me the guard uncuffs him and stands almost right next to us to monitor our conversation. "Austin," I breathe with a smile as I pull him into my arms. I place my hand on the back of his head, holding him into the hug. "Hey," he lets out quietly, before taking a seat across from me. "Thanks for coming today," he says, fiddling with his fingers. "I wouldn't miss it," I say in an obvious tone, laughing at the fact he thinks I would. "How have things been in here?" I ask. He shrugs his shoulders. "Foods bad, people aren't terrible. I got lucky being in this place, T." I nod. "I know. It seems nice.. I mean, for a jail." He cocks an eyebrow. "Sorry," I whisper and he nods. "What's new with you? Anything new going on at home?" He asks. I shake my head. "Mom and Dad are coming out to visit next weekend. They've told everybody that you're away at an acting camp in Canada." He laughs. "So thats what the press thinks too?" I shrug. "I'm pretty sure people know, Austin. It's impossible for me to be unseen coming here." He nods. "I figured." I slide a polaroid picture across the table. He takes it in his fingers and stares at it. It's a picture of me and him from Christmas, which was just a few short weeks ago. I had an elf hat on and he had a santa hat on, and we were laughing about something stupid Dad had said. "Keep it." He nods, putting it in his pocket. "Thanks T." "You know, if I have good behavior, they'll let me out 3 months early," he says with a small smirk. "Really? That's great, Austin," I smile. He nods. "I'd do anything to come back home."