Chapter 43

"Come on Magnus you had to have known this day would come eventually." I hear Alec argue with my Dad.

"I just thought I would-you know-have a little bit more time." I am currently sitting in my room, no doubt they both think I am asleep, but I woke up when they started to argue. "Can you at least buy me time?"

"The Clave knows you've been raising Cecily." Alec informs him, so that's what they've been arguing about... "They aren't happy with a Downworlder raising a Nephilim, especially since there are so few of us now." 

"You don't seem like you agree with the Clave." My Dad opposes. 

"A bad law is no law." Alec recites, where have I heard that before? "Of course I don't agree, them wanting to take Ceci from you is stupid."

"What will they do with her?" His voice sounds very concerned, just like how I feel. "Take her away from New York and drag her to Idris?"

"We all want her to stay in New York." Alec shares with him, it sounds like he is trying to comfort my Dad. "I-we won't let her leave."

"Are they going to come here soon?" He continues, "If she refuses to leave will they drag her out of here-her home?" Part of me wants to run out there and scream at them. Tell them I won't go.  The other part tells me to wait, listen to what they are saying.

"I-I don't know Magnus." The shadowhunter gently replies. "I wish I did."

"Maybe if she wasn't here when they came..." He begins to plot, "I-I could lie and say she has never been here."

"Lying to the Clave could be punishable by death Magnus." Alec kindly reminds him.

"So be it!" My Dad angrily exclaims. "When she first came here and we found out she was Nephilim she begged me not to send her to the Institute. I would rather die, then force her to be with the people she doesn't want to be with." I can't let him die for me. "Alexander there has to be some way out of this."

"I don't know." Alec nervously shares, "I only found out about it before running here to warn you. The Clave representatives were already on there way when I heard. They could be here any minute."

"And if Ceci doesn't go...?" 

"They could de-rune her." Alec grimly tells him, "Or lock her up in Alicante. Rogue shadowhunters never end up good." At this point I am off my bed, running out into the living room.

"I won't go." I inform them.

"Ceci." My Dad wearily says to me. "I thought you were asleep."

"I woke up when Alec got here." I explain, "Please don't make me go-" A loud knock comes from the door.

"I don't want to make you go." He sadly replies, "but I can't fight the Clave."

"I am not asking you to." Another loud knock comes from the door.

"Alec I'd go out the back door." Dad warns, "I don't want you to get yelled at or anything."

"You have a back door-" He stops questioning and quietly  sneaks out as my Dad walks over and opens the door.

"Victor!" He fakes sounding pleased as he lets the man into our apartment.

"Magnus." He dismissively responds, "Ready to go?"

"What are you talking about?" I lie, playing the 'I'm innocent' card.

"We are leaving." He explains as if its obvious. "Don't play dumb with me, we all know the Lightwood boy came to warn you guys."

"He did nothing of the sort." Magnus lies, "His name is Alec by the way."

"Like I care." The Inquisitor scoffs.

"Why do I have to leave?" I angrily ask, despite already knowing the cause.

"No Nephilim should be forced to live with a downworlder." He rudely answers, "It's bad, especially since there are so few of us nowadays."

"And if I refuse?" I oppose, crossing my arms angrily.

"I wouldn't." He responds. "Even if you do not wish to go, we will result to using extreme force and drag you from the premise ourselves."

"We?" He snaps his fingers, two men walk through the door, covered in runes. "Dramatic much?"

"So will you come willingly." He half-asks, but I know he's just dying to use extreme force, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who cares about people's feelings. 

"You are going to have to drag my cold dead body from this loft."