Chapter 3

<Cecily's Point of View>

<A Few Months Later>

Tonight Magnus is throwing another party. I love it when he does, because he always has the best parties. Sure fairies and the occasional vampires and werewolves show up, but they really know how to party. The one rule I have, is to stay away from the drinks. Dad doesn't want me to get turned into a rat or anything. It's only happened to a couple mundanes who have wandered into here, nothing to serious I'm sure they turned out fine. Tonight I'm just wearing a sparkly blue top, black jeans with holes, my combat boots and my outfit just looks perfect. I walk out into the party, and see Dad greeting his guests. Just on time. I think to myself as I blend in with the guests that have already arrived.

I introduce myself to the ones I don't already know, keeping the fact that I am Nephilim a secret. It would be really bad if they found out. I see a group of five people enter the room at once. I notice two things, one they are here for a reason, most people come here in twos or threes or by themselves. Two, they are like me, they are Nephilim. A hushed whisper falls across the ground the minute they enter. My eyes scan the crowd for Dad. I see him, so I run over to him.

"Dad- I need to talk to you. It's urgent." He sees the urgency on my face so he excuses himself from the conversation he's a part of.

"What is it Ceci?" He asks me, concerned.

"Those people who just entered, they are Nephilim." I inform him, he doesn't bother to ask how I know, if they find out about me- it would also be bad.

"Okay ummm.... just try to blend in." He says, trying to come up with an idea on the spot, "and avoid them at all costs okay? But if you do bump into one it's not the end of the world okay?" I nod, then leave him and rejoin the party.

Everything goes fine for about twenty minutes until I bump into one of the people who came in with them, except he's a mundane. He had a pink bubbly drink in his hand, which isn't a good sign. Why'd they bring a mundane with them?

"You umm- might not want to drink that." I tell him, pointing at the drink in his hand.

"Why not?" He asks, unknowing about what danger that small drink holds.

"It'll turn you into a rat." I blatantly tell him, "who'd you come here with? Why didn't they tell you not to drink anything?" He shrugs, about to take a sip anyway, despite what I've told him. I take the drink from his hand. "Sorry but no." I hand the drink to a passing faerie, then look around for the people he showed up with. "Go home whatever your name is."

"It's Simon- Simon Lewis." He informs me, pushing up his glasses back onto the bridge of his nose, "and I'm not leaving here until Clary leaves here." He tells me, despite the fact that I have no clue who Clary is.

"Fine whatever, I don't care." I tell him as he walks away. "Stupid mundane." I mutter under my breath as I turn around, accidentally bumping into someone. He has dark brown hair, blue eyes, and a bow in his hand with an arrow quill resting on his back. "S-sorry." I realize he's one of the Nephilim from earlier, so much for staying out of their way.

"Who are you?" He asks, what if he can tell what I am? I think to myself, panicking. I mean I could tell what they were, but is that because Magnus has been helping me learn how to do that? Maybe it's just because I'm different.... Magnus did say I had something special about me....

"Umm I'm Cecily..." I debate about wether to use my new last name or not, "...Jones." I hold out my hand, "I'm Cecily Jones, and you?"

"Alec Lightwood." He shakes my hand, "so what are you mundane, lycanthrope, Child of the Night, Fairfolk?" I shake my head. "What are you then?"

"I'm- are you looking for Magnus?" It feels weird calling him that, especially since I've been calling him Dad for so long. Alec looks confused, but he just shrugs, his eyes scanning the crowd again.

"Um yeah. Have you seen him." He asks me, I nod, my hair falling into my eyes. I move it back into place.

"Follow me." I begin to lead him through the crowd to Dad. He must be at least 17, so there is at least a three year age difference between us. We get to Dad, and he looks at my shocked.

"You." He says to Alec, taken aback, "aren't you one of the Nephilim?"

"Yeah I just had some questions for you..." Alec awkwardly says.

"Okay, Cecily I think your good now okay?" Dad tells me.

"Okay Da- I mean Magnus." I exclaim nervously, "it was nice to meet you Alec." Alec looks confused, but tries to get past that and continue the conversation.

I quickly walk away from them to avoid any further conversation. I decide to just stay in the back corner of the room for the rest of the party, to avoid any further incidents. At about midnight the party starts to clear up, the vampires seem to all leave together, quickly and quietly. The fair folk all leave at separate times, but by 12:15 they are all gone. The only people left are the Nephilim, Dad and myself. I try to make myself busy by pretending to clean up the apartment. I'm throwing away some empty chip bags when one of the people, the redhead, walks up to me. Her face is laced with worry, as if something is extremely wrong.

"Hi I'm Clary." She begins, nervously wringing her hands together.

"Cecily." I hold my hand out for her to shake, which she quickly does, then goes back to her nervous fretting.

"What are you exactly?" She asks me, "fair folk? Werewolf? Vampire?" I shake my head.

"Neither." I truthfully answer.

"But that would make you a-" I cut Clary off.

"A very busy person I know." I interrupt, throwing away a stack of empty cups. "How can I help you?" I stop what I'm doing and stare at her.

"I'm looking for my friend Simon." She nervously tells me. Wait, Simon he's the one with that drink..... I knew I shouldn't have just given up like that. I think to myself. "Have you seen him?"

"Yeah actually I have." I explain to her what happened and where he might have gone.

"Hotel Dumort?" She asks me, repeating what I last said, "so pretty much your telling me that my best friend drank a drink that turned him into a rat. Then some vampires took him to some hotel in downtown Brooklyn called Hotel Death because they thought he was one of them?"

"Yeah pretty much." I shrug, "look it's really late. Why don't you and your friends just head back to your Institute."

"Please." She tells me, "I need your help. Just take me to this Hotel Dumort and I can take it from there." I sigh, no point in arguing. I quickly scribble Dad a note, then set it on a table. I don't bother signing it, because he'll know it's from me.

"Fine." I grab her hand, "lets go."