Till Morning Comes

After the log and wheel were set a blaze and words spoken. The rest of the night was too be filled with dancing and having a merry time. 

Ulf played his pan-flute and drank mead, Audrey and Luke danced as the twins' father played his kantele and seemed to be lost in his music like he always ended up being in this time of year. 

As the night passed Ulf found himself looking for something, he felt a need to find something. At first he thought this thing was more mead or food but he quickly saw that that was not the case and he looked around. He couldn't think of what he was looking for but he decided to brush it off. But it stayed n the back of his mind. 

The night ended with Audrey falling asleep in her bed, Luke falling asleep on the front porch. Father sat still and breathing steady at the kitchen table and then Ulf lay in a snow bank. His senses finding it better to stay in below freezing temperatures than it was to stay inside a warm house. 

Ulf woke at the first signs of morning's light and saw the sky seemed like the fire from the night before was now there. He quickly looked to the fire pit and saw that the fire still burned, much smaller now but he quickly got to his feet and raced inside. He jumped the stairs that Luke was sleeping on and burst into the house. Waking the three people around him. 

"It's still burning! It made it till morning." Ulf shouted as he then raced back outside. 

"Audrey walked out of her room as her father sat up from the table. Both had woken with a jolt of lighting running through them. 

"Is he ever going to grow up?..." Audrey asked her voice still tired but sounding annoyed by her brother. Her father chuckled. 

"His arm band shows he is of age to be a man but I think he will always be a child at heart... I don't even think the gods can change that when it comes to our Ulf." He said as he went outside with her. Luke looking up confused as he saw everyone walking outside and towards the fire pit. 

"Best wishes for the new year, sister." Ulf said as he attacked his sister in a hug and lifted her into the air. She was shocked, at first trying to hit him to put her down but then once back on the ground she smiled. 

"All the best to you as well, brother. May the gods smile upon you." She told him as she hugged him. 

"May the gods bless us all this year like they did last year." Their father said as he hugged each his children in turn. 

The three of them turned to see where Luke was and to their surprise they found no one there. They only saw his boot prints leading back down the hill towards the town. 

"He must have somewhere to be..." Audrey said as she looked at the set of prints and then looked back her family.