38. duck analogies

I listened to this song while writing this, if you care. enjoy. (No gif because there's a surprise at the end of this chapter)

S O R E N

The nurse opened my room. I put a finger to my lips and she stopped abruptly. The young girl, obviously new at her job tiptoed into the room a small smile on her lips.

One-handed she held the tray of food, pulling down a tabletop connected to the side of the bed and swung it around in arms reach.

Placing the tray onto the white tabletop she whispered, "Visitor hours are closed now, Mr. McKinin."

I nodded silently, looking down at Jay who was asleep, cuddled into my body so she wouldn't fall off the side of the single bed. A cards held limply in her hand, the rest of the deck scattered across the sheets.

"I'll give you a few minutes to wake her up, Mr--"

"She'll leave when I want her to." I interrupted her knowing I'd have to play the 'McKinin' card. Looking down at the girl with a distressful glance, "Do you know who I am?"

"U-Um, Sir. You're--"

"I am Soren McKinin, son of Albert McKinin, one of the most successful men in the world. I could easily get you fired from this job and the next." I growled and watched her eyes widened with shock and fear, "She will stay because I said she is staying. Do I make myself clear?"

She was nodding her head before shaking it, swallowing visible hard as her tiny hands shook ever so slightly.

"I just work here... It's the rules." She gulped taking a step back, "I would let you but--"

"Anyone who disagrees can talk to me themselves." My blunt tone towered over her weak excuses and blended into my sower expression, "Leave."

She stumbled before exiting, the poor girl's eyes wide with fear of my threats. I've watched my father do that act, time and time again. Acting better than someone to get what you want, wether that be a physical or mental reward.

"Soren?" Jay mumbled into my chest, I grunted in response before glancing down at small figure. Her breath was steady and slow, she was completely and utterly sound asleep.

A small smile of pure evilness tugged on my lips, "Do you like mangos?"

She grunted, "Mm, I do."

Forcing myself not to laugh I took my chance, knowing she'd answer my questions unconscious of her actions.

"Do you think I'm good looking?" I grinned, watching as she snuggled her face into my shirt, gripping the fabric ever so slightly. She said nothing and for a moment I thought her sleep had deepen into the 'no contact' zone.

"God's gift to man..." her voice turned into a whisper I couldn't pick it up, feeling myself I smirk and I gently tucked a piece of black hair that had fallen onto her face behind her ear.

She talks in her sleep, now that was God's gift to me. Was it wrong that I was getting information out of her like this? Yes, probably. But she will forgive me, that's if she finds out, which she won't.

"Hey Jay," the nervousness of my own voice shocked me, especially because she was asleep, "If... If I asked you out, would you say yes?"