12. warmth of her

J A Y

J A Y

It still surprised me how people want cold smoothies in winter. In reality, it was probably because The Smoothie Bar had free WiFi.

Although, what surprised me more, was when Soren walked through the door. His hand stuffed into his pockets, and his nose bright red.

My eyes widened in shock as he walked up to the counter.

"Hey... Soren?"

"It's so fucking cold." He glanced around at the customers in the store and made eye contact with Neena before muttering, "I hate winter."

I typed into the touchscreen computer, one large mango smoothie.

"How can you hate winter? It means Christmas is soon." I raised an eyebrow, resting my elbows on the counter and watched Soren give me a sarcastic glare.

"Ah, Christmas." He rolled his eyes and pulled down his hood, freeing his messy hair that stood in all directions, "You do not fucking want to be with my family during Christmas. It's like someone dropped a bomb of good will and frustratingly over the top Christmas songs on our house."

"Isn't that what Christmas is all about?" I pointed out, watching Soren give Neena a sarcastically happy wave as she smiled at him.

"I know; isn't it just horrible." It seemed Soren genuinely hated Christmas. Despite being in a bad mood (as always), at least he mumbled thanks when I handed him his smoothie.

I took the order of the next person in line and watched as Soren leant against the counter and sipped his drink, completely content where he was.

"You just came here for a drink?" I gave him a grin before giving the change to the woman in front of me, "Told you, mangos are so much better."

He shrugged and then turned to me, "When does your shift end? I was hoping we could grab some dead birds."

"I thought you didn't like that kind of food?" I asked, pushing a carrot down the juice grinder.

"Yeah, well, a few things have pushed their way into my heart lately." He watched me work as he sucked at his straw, his voice flat and emotionless. "You know, I don't get why children love a big fat old man breaking into their house, stealing their food and leaving presents under a possibly flammable tree. Not to mention a bill for the parents."

"Well aren't you just a bundle of joy..." I smiled sarcastically, and gave the carrot juice to the woman who had been staring at Soren with wide eyes.