She was standing outside of it chatting with her two best friends: Safiya and John, but she paused in her conversation as Dan approached.

"Hey Dan!" she said, going up on the tips of her toes to kiss his cheek.

"Hi Kate. Ready for tonight?" he asked and she sighed.

"Yeah... Dan about that, I know you have something special planned and I feel so bad because-"

"It's fine," said Dan laying a soft hand on her shoulder, Kate melted into his touch with a relieved grin.

"You guys are soo cute!" exclaimed Safiya with a longing expression. "Don't you agree John?" she asked nudging the red-haired boy in the side. He made a face, scrunching up his freckled nose into a look of disgust.

"Y'all are cute and everything, but I personally hate this holiday and am looking forward to a night of binge watching Netflix. Who needs a girlfriend?" he said and they laughed.

"Well I'm going out with Matty! I'm going to meet her family!" Safiya squealed and Kate's eyes widened.

"OMG! Saf! Why didn't you tell me?" she exclaimed and Safiya shrugged.

"I wanted to! But Matty wanted to keep it hush hush," said Safiya and the two commenced to talk in whispered giggles. John rolled his eyes and turned to Dan.

"Girls. I honestly don't know why I hang out with them sometimes." he said fondly. Dan shot John a small smile as Safiya elbowed John in the ribs.

John proceeded to launch into a heavy monologue about maths - a subject for which Dan had no comprehension for, but apparently John loved- leaving no pauses between words for Dan to add any comments, which was more than fine by him. At last, noticing that the corridors were deserted, Kate pulled on Dan's arm letting him know that she was ready to leave.

"See you two later!" called Kate to her friends before following Dan out to where he had parked his car.

"I got the chocolates, thanks." said Dan as he opened the passenger door for Kate. She waited until he had sat down in the seat next to her before replying.

"No problem! I loved the bear you got me!" she squealed lifting up her purse - a fluffy brown head was sticking out of it.

"Really? Because I wasn't sure-"

"I loved it." stated Kate sincerely, stroking its head. "I'm assuming you heard from Mitch that I'm y'know... on my period, and I've been getting cramps all day so I don't know if I'm really up to dinner tonight..."

"Don't worry about it. I'll cancel the reservations and I'll drop you off at home then run to the shop to get you some snacks and stuff," Dan said, turning right at the intersection near Kate's house.

"Stuff as in tampons?" asked Kate, giggling when Dan flushed a brilliant shade of red.

"You know what I mean." he mumbled.

"Yeah... I do. Just get me the same ones as last time." she replied as he pulled into her drive. "You're the best. Love you!" she called as Dan pulled out the driveway.

Love? I never knew that our relationship had passed the stage of love , Dan pondered as he headed back to the convenience shop near his house. It was one he never usually visited - seeing as his Dad did the shopping- but the only one he could afford.

Kate lived on the richer side of town, and her parents were loaded with money, whereas Dan and his Dad lived in a cramped two-bedroom flat in the other end of town. The only reason Dan had been able to afford his car, was that he had saved up for three years using his job at the local bookstore to earn money. Even then, the only pocket money he got was what he earned.