Chapter 28 - Sacrifice

I didn't exactly wait for someone to answer the front door when I arrived at my mother's home in Sausalito. I let myself in. Her lake house overlooking the San Francisco bay was beautiful, but I stomped past the gorgeous view I spotted from the windows in the large den and headed for the back part of the home. 

A roar from the upstairs surfaced and I knew immediately where everyone was. When I made it to the top of the stairs, I saw Ra closing a bedroom door. 

"It didn't work. I'll fry that sister of Rayea's the next time I see her." 

Ra's vulgarity stunned me and I paused for a moment to announce myself. Quickly my presence became known to my mother and Ra. They turned and faced me. 

"Rayea, my dear, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..." Ra paused before he continued. He raked his hand through his wavy hair and slapped his knee. He looked away. "I'm gonna take a swim." 

I heard him curse under his breath a few more times as he glanced at my mother, and then me, before he descended the stairs. 

My mother sighed and clenched her hands tightly in front of her breasts, waiting for a reaction from me. 

I could see the veins rolling over her ivory knuckles as they popped forth. An expression of horror was etched across her face. 

Instantly thoughts of anguish hit me. Defeat. Dismay. Heartache. Grief. My throat tightened and I struggled to keep it together. I reached for the stair railing to balance myself. 

"I don't know how to save him," she said matter-of-factly. 

"I want to see him." 

As I passed by my mother headed towards the door, she grabbed my hand. "No, my child, you can't go in there. You can't help him now. We've done everything we can. I must call Containment now." 

I snatched my arm away from her, hissing. "You will not put him down like some sick dog. No disrespect, Mother, but if you try to, I will kill you, all of you. He's my best friend. I've known him longer than any of you people! You will not call anyone! Are we clear?" 

Without saying a word, she ripped off her ankh necklace that held the blood of Ra and shoved it in her hands. "May Mother Goddess help you then. I won't stop you." Slowly she backed away. 

I reached out for her mother and pulled her into my arms. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean..." 

"It's alright. I know, darling. I'd move the pyramids of Giza to save your step-father. I understand." She returned my hug. Then holding me steadfast by the elbows, she said, "You'd die for him, wouldn't you?" 

Blinking back tears, I nodded. And then it hit me. I couldn't deny my love for Blick anymore. Even though I realized at that moment that I had spent many years trying to do so, he was my heart. He had always been there for me, and he was the only person I knew I could count on. Maybe our love hadn't been consummated with the act of sex, but I couldn't kid myself any longer. If he died, or if he was put down as my mother and J suggested, I'd die too. I loved him above everyone else and always had. No one else meant anything to me, not even Michael or Ashton. 

"I think I do love him," I whispered. "I can't imagine him not being a part of my life." I fought back the tears in my eyes as a few spilled down my face. 

"I understand, my child. My bond to Ra is like that, and I'd do everything I could to save him. I'd give my life to save him." 

Through blurry vision caused by my tears, I watched her as she continued to hold my hand.