PART 3 - A VAMPIRE ON VACATION - A Foreword by a Voice from the Blood Realm

A Foreword by a Voice from the Blood Realm 

Many of you know me without my going into elaborate introductions. But it is rude for me not to introduce myself, isn't it? 

I'm the sassy sidekick. Sometimes my comments I share through my host come off as frustration, aggravation, or silly one-liners. They spill forth despite my good intentions. I want to be my host's voice of reason. It doesn't always play out that way, I know. Being at the forefront of this female's mind who has awesome powers in addition to sensational bloodlust wasn't exactly what I thought I'd get when I volunteered for the exchange. I constantly struggle to make sense of her day-to-day life. You've heard me say any of the following: 

"Grab your popcorn! This is gonna be good!" 

"You just sit there, honey. We've got this." 

'"Brilliant idea interrogating this man." 

Who is my host? Well a vampire, of course. She's a daughter of Satan actually. I've been with her since she was turned by her father. Oh yes, and as she would say, it's complicated. Seriously. I don't joke about my hosts. 

Before we continue, let's do an exercise. Don't worry. You won't get messy. Take the thumb on your right hand and place it on the bottom of your chin, in the middle of your clef right there on the bone. Then straighten your index and middle fingers and place them on the left or right side of your throat, beneath your ear all the way until your fingers are resting BELOW or BEHIND your jawbone. You may have to stretch your neck upwards some. Think of it as if you're almost grabbing someone around the throat with one hand. Just do that (to yourself of course) if it's easier for you. 

Pause for a moment. Close your eyes if you have to concentrate and wait. Do you feel that pulse, that rhythm, that beat of life? If you found the correct spot, you'll instantly know it. It makes your heart pound in your chest, rising up, then down, up, then down, and so on. Maybe your eyes ache a little or your head starts to swim? Your tummy does a somersault? No need to be alarmed. You're safe, unless you faint of course, which would be absurd since I've never heard of a human fainting from feeling his own pulse. I could be wrong though. I learn something new every day. Trust me. 

So any ideas? 

What do you think I am? 

Still no clue? 

Okay, let's abandon the exercise. If you haven't guessed yet, I'll phrase it this way. I'm inside you all the time. I never leave... 

Unless you encounter some accident (unforeseen or on purpose). 

A nasty car wreck. 

Spontaneous combustion. My #1 favorite. 

A chance encounter with a vampire. My #2 favorite. 

An attack by an animal like a tiger, a Teumessian fox, werewolf, or any other furry. 

You get the idea. 

Okay, I'll come clean. 

I'm the essence of life. If I'm getting carried away some, maybe I should just keep it simple. I like simple. I'm the red stuff flowing in your veins. 

I am Blood. 

I'll pause for a moment and say something witty to my host while you digest that notion. Be right back. 

*** 

Where was I? Oh yes, I remember. Obviously you may be wondering at this point what side I favor. Good or Evil? I'd like to say that I have a political stance, an agenda, or maybe even a religion. But I don't. I don't get into the whole good or evil muck. Life is life. I need to be coursing through the veins of some organism's body. It doesn't matter who it is. 

I will have to say though I love vampires. I hit the jackpot when I found this host. Talk about motivation. Drive. Determination. Focus. The next meal. That's what my vampire always has on her mind. 

Maybe I do keep the thirst in her turned up a notch. That's to be expected, right? I won't confess to anything, however. It could be me or it could be her. Once she finds her next meal and feeds, I calm down and give her the night off. I curl up in my favorite spot, tucked behind her ear, warm and satisfied, purring like a kitten. I'm utterly harmless at that point. 

Vampires are really the rock stars of the Blood world. Admittedly, the Blood Realm thrives on them. I have friends who try to deny it, but it's true. They simply won't acknowledge one basic fact about vampires. We need them and they need us. Our existence goes hand in hand, similar to our fate with humans. We need you and you need us. That's not just my opinion either. It's a fact. Watch your blood run out of you and see where you are? Dead. You get the picture, right? Thought so. 

I suppose if I did have to pick a side, between good and evil, I'd select good. My host certainly has, so her battles are my battles. And to make matters worse - I am a selfish sort as you may have guessed - if I don't transfer to another being before my main host dies, then I die too. Isn't that a kick in the gonads for ya? 

Here's why I bring it up: my host, who obviously is a vampire, is facing criticism for doing what is in her nature to do. Actually she's facing Judgment Day. She was sent to Earth with essentially her good looks, laptop, iPhone, and a tummy full of angel blood. She was told to stay out of trouble. Okay, maybe my memory of the situation is hazy. I could be wrong. All I know is that a vampire with a limited supply of blood is going to have a tough time 'staying out of trouble.' Don't you think? 

I should have known it was going to end at some point. How could I get so lucky having such a wonderful host who actually listens to me, and not expect it to end some day? Right? Surely you know what I'm saying? I can't be jumping back and forth from host to host. That takes talent. A talent I don't have, by the way. We can get into that later. There's plenty of time. Right now, I'm more worried about her. Even for a vampire, a complicated one like she is, that is not an easy task. 

I do want to put this forth, and then I'll shut up (at least for now). I've had many hosts before. I didn't show up yesterday. I've been around since the beginning of time, if you know how long that is. And I can tell you, this vampire isn't someone to mess with. She's different. She's complicated. She's - let's face it - one in a million. I don't care who you are. Human, Demon, Angel, God or the like. You realize that when you meet her. I think someone should recognize that fact. They broke the mold when they made her. 

Trust me. I know blood. I know skill. I know intelligence. And this vampire has it all. She's steadfast in her loyalty to her friends and immovable in her fight for justice. She will not be beaten or tortured anymore by anyone. You may not know it now, and she may not know it now, but she will have her day of reckoning. 

If they so much as dare tell my host that she is about to die, then they should watch out. That's all I'm saying. Rayea is a survivor, and more importantly, so am I. I'm the fire burning in that child's soul, and as long as I'm around, no one will stop her. Not her sister, not her father, and not some stupid council of gods who are out of touch with reality and don't understand who she really is. That's all I'm going to say for now. And yes, if you guessed, I'm the voice inside the Vampire from Hell's head. And no, you haven't heard the last from me. Now back to entertaining my host.

[Copyright 2011-2013 by Ally Thomas. All Rights Reserved. Cover Design by Cora Graphics.]