Chapter 27 - Change of House

Jostling the cage as I grabbed the doorknob to my home, the cat jumped and growled at me. 

"I'm sorry, Fluffy. I can't manage this door and you at the same time." 

He meowed and turned around a few times in the cage. 

As I entered the large living area, Death waved and pointed towards the kitchen. "Well hello, Rayea!" His voice boomed loudly through the house. 

I wasn't sure why he was announcing my presence until I saw Lynn bustling around in the kitchen. 

"We are having dinner," he yelled again, pronouncing each word's syllables as he sat up on the couch. 

"Indeed we are, stranger. I thought since you can't find time to show up for lunch, I'll bring dinner to you." 

I smiled when I heard Lynn's voice. She was mad at me I could tell, but not too mad. The sassy sarcasm was a dead giveaway that I had a chance to make things right with her. Glancing down at the cat in the cage, I considered offering him as a token of goodwill. Then I decided to just let him out of the cage. Immediately the cat raced down the hallway to the bedrooms. 

"How are we doing?" I asked the two, hoping Death would realize that I meant Grace as well. 

"We're hanging in there," he replied, understanding my loaded question. He shifted his legs and turned towards the kitchen. "I've been getting to know your friend here," Death said to me, raising his hand in Lynn's direction. 

"Really? Not bad mouthing me I hope?" I asked as I made my way over to the kitchen and gave Lynn a slight hug. "I'm sorry about lunch. How much in the doghouse am I?" I whispered to her, using another one of her fun sayings. 

"Get me a date with tall, blond, and gorgeous over there and I'll forget everything. Is he a Viking or something?" she quietly replied. 

I laughed. "I don't think he's a Viking," I said. "Besides I think his girlfriend and your boyfriend wouldn't like you going out with him." 

Lynn gave me a 'humph' response which meant we'll see about that. She cut the grilled cheese sandwich she had made for Death with purpose and sauntered past me, setting the food on the coffee table in front of him. Taking a moment to toss her head back, she placed her hands on her slim hips. "What's the deal here? Someone's lying to me." She ran her fingers through her strawberry blonde locks. Her grayish green eyes glowed with enjoyment. 

"Oh come now, Lynn," Death answered, patting a spot on the couch next to him. "Rayea and I broke up long ago. I have a new girlfriend. That's all. We just met so if it doesn't work out, I'll be knocking at your door. Would you like to see some photos of what Rayea looked like when we dated?" 

"You betcha!" Lynn hopped down next to Death. 

I smiled to myself when I heard Lynn giggle with that high, flirty snicker she had. She'd have Death wrapped around her finger by the time I got back. 

"I'll just check on the cat. I saw him run back here." I pointed to the bedrooms and fled the living room. 

As I walked towards my bedroom at the end of the hall, I noticed the door to the guest bedroom was ajar. I peaked in and saw the fluffy orange cat sitting on the bed with Grace. 

"Hey Fluffy," I whispered to the cat. "What are you doing in here?" 

The cat meowed and curled up at the foot of the bed. He didn't seem that shaken from the earlier events. 

Immediately I searched for Grace's pulse. She had one, but it was really faint. I feared the worst. I thought about calling Death in despite the fact that Lynn's presence was a complication to our situation when suddenly the cat leapt on Grace's chest. I jumped back.