The Assignment

Monday

This past Saturday had been on my mind almost 24/7. It was nearly impossible for me to finish my homework because my mind was constantly wondering off. I couldn't get the image of Lauren smiling out of my head; Or the incredible voice that blessed my ears. The girl was just so damn talented.

Luckily after many breaks, I had managed to finish all my homework. It was important for me to keep up my record of handing in all my assignments on time. It was something I prided myself upon and I wasn't going to stop now.

Today was like any other Monday. Everyone in the building seemed to have this heaviness about them. I mean I couldn't really blame them. It was the beginning of another week filled with more assignments, grades, aggravation, and stress.

Walking into my last class for the day, English,  I sat down at my desk unconsciously finding myself looking for the girl I had spent time getting to know over the weekend. Practically everyone in my class shuffled their way in. I was beginning to worry she wasn't going to be in class. However just as the bell was about to ring a slightly out of breath Lauren came rushing through the door. If you asked me what my reaction was I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you. It was either between me smiling or our eyes locking onto one another. Either way I was freaking out in the inside trying my best not to make myself look like a complete idiot.

We spent about half the class discussing the movie we had watched last week. Most of us basically had the same answers and to be quite frank there wasn't very much variety throughout the class. As the last student quieted down I thought we were going to move into our next task. In the corner of my eye though I saw a quick movement. I immediately knew who's hand it was.

"Yes, Lauren?" The teacher asked.

"Um may I just make a quick comment about what we were talking about before? I just wanted to add something." I heard her say.

"Yes of coarse." Responded Mrs.Anderson with a friendly smile.

"Ok so we're talking about morality right. I just find it a bit interesting how no one brought up the fact what's going on today."

Some of the kids looked around with puzzlement etched all over their face.

"I mean of the top of my head I can make a list of things that are going in right now that are immoral. For example, look what's happening in Syria. Their total country is at war. It rains bombs almost daily and the place people once called home is now a pile of dust and rubble. Innocent people are dying! Children, they no longer have anyone to take care for them. They've grown up in a world where it's normal to see dead bodies throughout the streets. To see such devastation is the only thing they know. I don't know what I'm really trying to say. It just seems that there are so many immoral things going on currently and yet no one seems to even bat an eyelash." Exclaimed Lauren crossing her arms with an aggravated expression.

It was clear that Lauren was very outspoken and someone who had intelligence. However hearing the words that just came out of her mouth shocked me. Never in my life had I heard or witnessed someone speak with such passion, eloquence, and anger. To say it was relieving would be a total understatement.

I could tell even the teacher was somewhat taken a back by what she had said. There was a certain twinkle in her eyes, almost as if she were proud, before she smiled and then responded by saying, "Well Lauren thank you for adding in your thoughts. You are quite right. We seem to sometimes forget what's happening in the big picture. Human nature from the beginning has always been focused on what's going on around us."

Lauren just nodded her head politely before going back to fiddling with her pen again. She didn't seem to think what she said was that...amazing?