Chapter 6 - He Came in Thru the Bathroom Window 🕒Saturday, November 2nd, 1963🕞

Start from the beginning

Jane clapped her hands and began jumping up and down.

"OH, WENDY THIS IS WONDERFUL! IT'S SO PERFECT! WE CAN GO ON DOUBLE DATES AND-"

"Jane, not to burst your bubble, but he doesn't even know me all that well yet. We've only talked a couple of times, and I get the feeling he doesn't know I'm alive! Sure, I've seen him looking at me, but I'll bet he checks out all the girls. I'm sure if there was another new girl, he'd be looking at her, too. Now...let's just forget this for now, alright?"

Jane sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Whatever. But you just wait, Wendy. It'll happen, it's bound to. It's fate! The more you hang around me, the more you'll be with them." And she was right, I knew she was. I just didn't want to jump into something I knew nothing about and be disappointed, because that was pretty much my love life up until that point. And, more importantly, what was this wonderful but strange fantasy world I had jumped into and how long would I stay? I just didn't have the slightest idea.

We began to look at clothing, and shoes, me off in my own little world of happiness as I browsed the women's department. Jane tried on a pretty, yellow dress that contrasted her hair perfectly and decided to buy it for that night. She and Paul were going out for dinner at one of the more uppity restaurants in town. I tried on a lavender sleeveless dress that was backless with a big bell-shaped skirt and roses lining the waist. Jane gasped and insisted I get it. We proceeded to buy several other adorable outfits that simply screamed sixties, all of which Jane paid for. I couldn't thank her enough, and honestly, I don't know where I would have been without her.

Soon, it was afternoon and we walked to a little cafe for lunch. Jane ordered fish and chips, and I followed suit, not knowing what to get. I looked at her, sitting there so content and happy, and felt a twinge of guilt and confusion. I felt I should at least tell her, after all that she'd done for me since my arrival. But what should I say? She wouldn't believe me if I told her I was from the future. I decided to warm her up to it, maybe not tell her yet, but make up some stuff to mask it.

"Jane, I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me these last few hours." I started. She smiled.

"Tis nothing, dear. My pleasure."

I played with my hands nervously, knowing that what I had to say next would sound ludicrous.

"I can't really tell you how I got here because I'm not really sure myself."

"Wendy, you don't have to explain. There has been a ton of drinking and such in the city lately, and I was talking to the guys in the studio last night about you. John told me he found you in the street and felt sorry for you. It's alright, love. We understand."

What? There has been a lot of...they think I'm a drunk??? Oh, my. No wonder everyone was being so nice to me. But then, how had I gotten here to begin with? Had I been drinking previously? Suddenly, I didn't know anymore. I wouldn't know even if I had. All I could recall was the lab, which now seemed like a distant memory. The thoughts I had tried to suppress suddenly ran rampant from my mind, and the room slowly began to spin.

"Wendy?" Jane asked from across the table. And then, just like that, there was darkness.

🕒🕒🕒

I opened my eyes to find myself lying on Jane's bed. It took me a moment to recall what had happened, and I realized that I had been passed out for quite some time. I looked out the window and saw that it had begun to get dark. Granted, it was autumn, but it still felt rather late. I sat up and as I did, Maggie walked in, carrying a tray. She looked relieved as she saw me up.

"Oh good, you're awake. How are you feeling, dear? Jane brought you home after your incident. Are you alright?"

I nodded slowly.

"I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I'm feeling better."

"How's your head?"

"My head..."

I reached up and felt a large bump the size of a goose egg.

"Ouch! What happened?" I asked.

"You hit it when you fell." Maggie said, crossing the room and sitting down next to me on the bed. "I thought you might like some food and tea, so I brought you some."

I smiled gratefully and took the teacup from her hands as she sat the tray on the nightstand.

"Thank you." I said, trying to get up, but she pushed me back down.

"Oh, no, you're not going anywhere." she said. "Why don't you lie back down and get some rest? You've had a hard day."

I sighed.

"I'm really ok, but if you think that I should-"

"Yes, I do. Now, I'll be going out, but I'll be back soon. Try and get some rest, dear."

She started to leave, but I grabbed her arm.

"Where's Jane?" I asked, suddenly feeling strange alone in a house without my new friend. Maggie smiled.

"You just missed her, she left with Paul for dinner, but she'll be back later, don't you worry." she said, patting my knee, and leaving. I dropped my head against Jane's pillow and let out a long breath. I was stuck alone in a strange house all night with nothing to do, and they all thought I was a raging alcoholic. Great. Now what? I was about to start eating the wonderful looking food Maggie had made me when I heard a tapping noise coming from down the hall. Startled, I leaned over, peering into the bathroom to find a man's face pressed against the glass of the window. I let out a muffled yelp and jumped, nearly falling out of the bed. Cautiously, I got up and, making sure Maggie had gone, made my way over to the window. As I got closer, the man smiled, and suddenly, his face became familiar. My heart stopped and I froze. It was Victor!

"Mr. Spinetti!" I cried, rushing forward. I opened the window, and looked down, suddenly realizing how high up we were.

"How'd you get up here?!" I asked, in shock. He chuckled and climbed in.

"I was waiting for that woman to leave." he explained. "This place is like a circus, people popping in and out at different times, it's no wonder it was hard getting to you! We've been trying to track you down for-"

"Track me down?" I exclaimed. "How'd you get here? I was beginning to think I was going mad!"

I fell back against the wall from sudden fatigue and stress, and Victor seemed to sense it.

"What's wrong?" he asked, suddenly moving to my side. I groaned.

"I'm fine, I just fainted earlier and hit my head." I said. "At least now I have a reason for going crazy. Crikey! For all I know, you're a figment of my imagination along with all of this!"

He laughed, and took my hand, making me touch his body.

"I can assure you that I'm not. Algernon and I, we seem to be having, er, technical difficulties."

"With what?!" I asked, suddenly bubbling over with frustration. "Can you please just tell me what the heck is going on or is it CLASSIFIED??!"

He stood there, looking rather amused at my lack of understanding, and cocked his head to the side.

"My dear, you still don't know?" he asked, in disbelief.

"What? What? WHAT?" I yelled, about ready to throttle my professor. "TELL ME!"

"My experiment was a success, an outstanding achievement! We did it, my dear, congratulations. Yesterday, we sent you back to 1963. Wendy, you traveled in time! You are a time traveler!"