Karma

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand." Thich Nhat Hanh

Karma.

It is said in Hinduism that every action we take has its consequences. In order for one's soul to progress through higher levels of reincarnation, one must be able to go through the obstacles sent to him or her by the higher powers that rule their lives. Often, faith sends obstacles one was not able to overcome in his or her previous life. Those obstacles are similar to echoes of their past mistakes. They act as a punishment of one's failure to triumph over the task that was sent their way.

Sadly, Amy is not able to perceive the subtle twists of her own destiny because she is too busy interfering with Myriam's life.

Amy spends the rest of her day feeling anxious. Her reconciliation with Myriam has put on edge. She is under the impression that something important is going to happen, as though she is about to arrive at an important crossroad of her life.

She has reached a point in her relationship with Myriam where the other girl is starting to trust her. That book she has let her borrow provesit. Amy has spent her entire class exploring it. Unlike her own school material- which is exactly in the same state as when it came in her possession- it's strangely private. Scribbles have been made on almost every page. A few hearts, weird looking people, circles, squares, have been drawn here in there. There are a few words, written in graffiti-like characters: sex, hot, gorgeous, bitch, popular, boring, music, cheer, and, on one page, a humongous "Bla, bla, bla" right beside a man with glasses who shares a vague resemblance to Myriam's biology teacher.

There are also written exchanges between Melissa and Myriam at the beginning of the book, something that Amy finds quite interesting. Myriam's handwriting is the most heavily featured. Her messages are mostly snarky comments about her classmates. Judging by Melissa's replies, she seemed to be very amused by her friend's sassy humor. Melissa's message are a bit less coherent. She shares dreamy thoughts and quotes from plays she appreciated. Myriam's answers are mainly composed of smiley drawings and sweet words.

There are also a few compliments, references to shared memories, and small games.

On the first page of the book, both of their hands have been drawn, side by side, with glittery gel-pens. These discoveries make Amy feel like an archeologist. They are mysterious, intriguing, and absolutely fascinating.

Myriam and Amy leave school together, right after cheerleading practice. There is as strange feeling in the pit of Amy's stomach. The first thing she does when she gets in Myriam's car is to give her back her book. The raven beauty just takes it and throws it carelessly unto the back seat. Her nonchalance is one of the many things Amy dislikes about her, but she is starting to get used to it.

"You're quite talented." Amy said, breaking the silence. Myriam scowls, seemingly confused. "I am talking about those drawings you made in your book."

"Huh, okay." Amy blushes and shifts on her seat. She is feeling uncomfortable. It's as though her old self is back in her body. She fears she might be suddenly failing at having normal teenage interactions.

"So what do you wanna do?" Myriam asks her after some time. Amy turns towards her. She giggles when she notices Myriam's scrunched up features. The beautiful brunette is squinting and grimacing. Her hand is over her eyes as she tries to shield them from the sun.

"Didn't you want to go to the park?" Myriam nods, turns towards her, and smiles.

"Yeah, we should grab something to eat before. I'm so hungry."

They drive towards the park after stopping by a Starbuck café to buy takeout food: a salad for Amy and a sandwich for Myriam.

Amy is trying to figure out where exactly they are going. They are far away from the brunette's part of town and pretty close to her own house. She wonders why the darker girl would feel like going to a park so distant from her own neighborhood. As they are going through familiar streets, Amy is becoming more and more aware of their destination and she is feeling increasingly apprehensive.