Don't Believe Your Friends

"Don't believe your friends when they ask you to be honest with them. All they really want is to be maintained in the good opinion they have of themselves." Albert Camus

Friendship, it's a word that Amy Miller does not understand. To her, it's a fraud formed by an intricate web of lies. She is shocked by how easy it has become for her to pretend. She conceals her true nature to please others and, at times, she can hardly remember why she is acting that way. Then, someone smiles at her and she forgets her loneliness. For a moment, a brief moment, she truly believes that the lie she is living is real.

Her blossoming friendship with Myriam has drawn her away from her Kelly and Meredith but it doesn't matter anymore. They have served their purpose.

Amy now travels from group to group without ever being able to build strong relationships with anyone. It's easier that way to keep the image she has chosen to portray and it helps her maintain her social status. Everything is progressing smoothly, almost too slowly, but key elements are falling into place.

Since her two last encounter with Melissa, Amy has found herself a growing interest in the rebellious girl. It has strangely never occurred to how important she was, and still is, in Myriam's life before the conversation they had while skipping class. She surely knows her more than anyone else. It's almost foolish of her to never have exploited that relationship for her plan. After all, the brunette does seem to have genuine feelings for the girl who has been, until recently, her best friend.

Their relationship defies logic. They are so different from one another. One is as dark as a moonless night and the other one is as bright as the shining sun. They belong to two opposite extremities, the two poles of a bipolar system. They are, in Amy's mind, as irreconcilable as good and evil, but yet they used to be in love with each other.

She has tried many times to subtly approach the topic of Myriam with Melissa in the hopes of getting more useful information on the other teenager. It hasn't resulted in much. The other teenager has been a bit closed-off since their last exchange and mentioning anything about her broken friendship seems to put her on edge.

Amy knows there has to be a way to crack the other girl open, but she hasn't found it yet.

She was pondering the question one morning, walking pensively towards her locker with her books clenched against her chest, when a mocking voice stopped her reflection. She absolutely has to find out more about the two girl's relationship.

She has to find out more about Myriam. The raven beauty is so guarded, all of their interactions seem controlled and distant. There's no way to guess what is going through the teenager's mind.

"Hey Milleeeer!" Speaking of the devil, there she is, Satan, head rested against a locker and a pearly white smile directed her way. "Look, since you started acting like a normal person, I sort of can stand being in the same room as you without feeling like punching you every time you open your -"

In order for her plan to work, Amy has to befriend the highly frustrating girl, but there is no way she can let her step on her self-esteem in such a malicious way.

"First of all, my name is Amy not Miller and I would be really pleased if you stopped including as much insult as possible in every sentence that comes out of your mouth when speaking to me."

"Whatever Amy," Myriam replies, stressing on the second word. "You don't have to be such a bitch. I was just going to ask if you wanted to go to the movies with me tonight."

Amy stands still, slowly processing what she had just heard. She swallows with difficulty. Her eyes blink a few times as she stares blankly at the girl in front of her.

"Why me?" She whispers. Experience makes her afraid to believe this invitation could be real.

The raven beauty shrugs with nonchalance. She swipes her tongue over her full red-painted lips and smirks.

"We're friends, no?" Amy clenches her teeth at the word but nods firmly. "Usually, I'd go with Clarisse, but Barbie is on a date with her Ken and-"Myriam sighs forcefully, her eyes travelling in Melissa and John's direction. "I'm not really in the mood of being the third wheel to their sappy romantic bullshit."

She clearly isn't completely over Melissa and the sight of two people in love makes her feel uncomfortable, maybe reminds her of what she has lost. Amy shifts her weight from one foot to the other. She takes her time to answer to the raven beauty's awaiting dark  eyes. This is more than perfect. She has been waiting for an opportunity to deepen their friendship. Never would she have expected that Myriam, herself, would be the one to throw the bases of Amy's trap.

"Okay," the aspiring actress has to restrain the excitement in her voice. "What movie do you have in mind?"

Myriam smirks with pride and crosses her arms over her chest. She is obviously glad to be having her way and is completely oblivious of the actress's deceptive mask.

"I was thinking of Infancia Clandestina," she answers with a hint of hesitance, seemingly unsure if her invitation will be well-received. "They are playing a version of it with English subtitles at the movie theater near the library. I know there's not hot guys in that movie and all, but the critics are excellent and my sister told me to go watch it."

"Do you always do as your sister says?" Amy mocks her.

"We're kind of close. We share everything and we basically have the same taste, except maybe for guys. She likes the skinny intellectual type of men and-" the raven beauty bites her lower lip in a suggestive manner and sends her a wink. "Well, you know how I like my men."

Amy almost drops her books at the last comment. She isn't entirely sure if what Myriam just said is meant as a to be a jab at her. Is she making a reference to her sexual encounter with Louis? Even if it isn't what she is doing- which the aspiring actress doubts- the words still sting. "I know how you like your women too," seems to want to fly out of her mouth like a swift murderous arrow. It takes her all of her will-power to bite back the acid reply that comes to her mind. She takes a deep breath, swallows her pain, and forces a smile.

"You bet I do," She whispers through gritted teeth.

Myriam goes into a giggle fit, throwing her head backward. Amy does her best to join her with a polite laugh.

"We'll ride in my car," the queen of hearts add, as though she didn't just give a vicious stab to Amy. "We'll meet up near the entrance after last period. Be quick. I don't like to be kept waiting."

Myriam smacks her lips together and smiles at Amy with arrogance, displaying her perfect set of teeth.

"That sounds like an awesome plan."

Myriam lets out a throaty laugh and starts walking away.

"There's not much about me that isn't awesome," she says, winking at Amy before parting her way.