Chapter 22: Drained Emotions

3rd Person's POV

A tint of light slowly reached on Kuki as her consciousness came back. She pried her eyes open. When she woke up, she found herself buckled up on a table.

What the heck just happened?

She looked around, only to see darkness, with a light bulb on top of her head dimly lightening the room. Suddenly, she heard a door opened as footsteps echoed, getting close to her.

"Oh! You've woken up. How delightful." A female voice said, her voice laced with sweetness. Kuki felt another presence in the room other than the female talking to her.

"What do you want?" Kuki said bluntly.

"Nothing much in particular. Our boss just wanted to check on you. He's not in here right now though, but he's listening to our conversation as we speak," she answered as she tapped her pen on her clipboard.

"Is your boss a chicken or something? Afraid to face me, eh?!" The aqua haired girl screamed purposely to mock the said boss.

The guy next to the women kicked Kuki in the face hard. "Shut up, brat! You don't know who you're messing with," he scoffed, warning her with a glare.

She spat out some icky crimson liquid dripping from her mouth. "Your kick was weak-sause," she snikered, earning another glance from him.

You ask why she was talking like that? Why she was acting cool despite the fact that she's in big trouble at that time? Simple. She was actually scared. She masked her fear with "cool phrases" when she is indeed scared.

"What did you say brat?!" He was about to erase Kuki's grin off when a loud booming noise interrupted him.

"That's enough. We need her alive so don't you dare kick her again or your head will be dismembered from your neck!" The guy froze in fear. He glanced back at Kuki only to receive mockery from her.

His blood boiled at the insult, but his head being on the line, he just stormed off the room after the female with the clipboard left.

After the two disappeared, Kuki dropped the act. She bit her lower lip, holding the tears in before breathing in intensely, blinking the tears away.

It's fine. It's fine.. I'm perfectly fine..!

She convinced herself to maintain her calm composure. With that, she realized that her buckle was loose and using a small ounce of strength, it snapped and she was on the run again. Of course she didn't forget her trusty giant folding fan that was conveniently placed on the ground.

Then she found herself running again. She slipped herself inside an air vent and began crawling through. The vents suddenly shook uncontrollably as Kuki fell out from it. She was inside a room, but continued the way to the air vent. Because of her laziness, she used her power instead to levitate and got much more faster than crawling.

Why didn't I think of that earlier?!  She mentally slapped herself for not using her brain.

Again, the vents quivered. Kuki fell again when the vents cracked open beneath her. Surprisingly, she was in the same room before but this time, a person fully covered and wearing a mask stood in front of her.

"Seems like you're lost," he purred, his deep voice making Kuki slightly shiver.

"B-boss! The girl escaped—" one of the minions said as he burst the door open.

"I can tell," he clarified with sarcasm while his eyes landed on Kuki.

"So you're the boss? Doesn't look intimidating to me." She glared at him with an amused grin. She stood back to her feet and faced the dude. He was just surprisingly just her eye-level.