Prologue

As a huge blast of freezing wind from the blizzard outside hit his tent, Hardvak's sigh rose back to his face in the form of a white smoke. The sound of which annoyed him more than it should've. He lived in the cold for most of his life and sighed all of his life  so for something as menial as that to annoy him proved that he had been away from civilization for too long of a time. Not that it was idea to sail to this frozen hell in the first place. No that credit went to his highness Emperor Titus Meade who had asked him to.

Now he didn't have to accept but the aging man looked like he was just barely holding it together. The Aldmeri Dominion re-declaring war on the Empire must've been taking its toll on the bastard with that in mind, Hardvak's admittedly sappy heart couldn't help but feel for him and so he accepted. But sitting in his tent alone  in the Gods Damned frozen wasteland known as Atmora for the third week in a row, he began to wonder if he would've been better off telling the Emperor to shove it up his ass.

After an hour or so, the wind eventually died down and he quickly exited his tent and looked around. Yep absolutely nothing had changed. The ground around still remained frozen solid and covered with snow and still expanded out in all directions for gods know how many miles. Granted the sky above was still filled with clouds which prevented the sun from shining down and reflecting on the snow so scratch that, one thing had changed. He sighed yet again and folded his tent back up and strapped it back to his back before continuing on. He made it a point to head to Solstheim after this mission and thank Frea and the Skaal for the clothes they gave him. True to her word, they kept a man warm even in the coldest area on the planet despite how itchy they were. To be fair that may have been more him than the clothes. He had heard that as you enter twilight years your skin begins to change more than you want and since he had turned fifty  yesterday, he officially admitted himself into that category.

"Some birthday present." He grumbled as his trek continued. Despite the complaints, he was grateful for the isolation that Atmora brought. Places like these, which was kindly for white empty  flat plains of ice devoid of all life, allowed him to really think about things. Fifty years old. That was a long time for someone who still adventured for a living. Ten years more so than a certain Harbinger whom he had the courtesy of knowing in life. If that man felt ancient back then, He wondered how he would feel right now. The thought brought a smile to his face as he remembered not only Kodlack, but Aela, Vilkas, Farkas, Skjor, and all the other Companions whom he had fought and bled with over the years. He made another note to stop by Whiterun after this and  challenge his old Shield Brothers and Sisters to a drinking contest before focusing back on the task at hand. After several more hours of trekking through an empty wasteland, he finally came to his destination. A small camp composed of a single large brown tent. With a thankful sigh, Hardvak entered through it expecting to see......Well anybody really. When he didn't see said anybody, he immediately assumed that he was out studying whatever it was that the Emperor asked him to study. Which was the same thing he had asked Hardvak to study. Sure enough, he found a note on a nearly empty table.

My lord Dragonborn,

If you're reading this I'm glad you arrived in one piece. I would like to apologize for my absence but not long after I brought word to the Emperor,  the anomaly began to act strangely. Fluctuating on and off for hours on end. You'll find it and me, a half a day's journey to the north, if you can bring some food, I would greatly appreciate it. My thanks.

Seric.

Of course, he had to walk some more. He sighed, yet again and angrily pulled scroll from his backpack. Channeling some Magika through it, the scroll unrolled and exploded in a white blinding light. When it faded, he heard several hard thuds and saw several pieces of armor now in the floor.