Dreams

It wasn't long after Rayara arrived in the Exalted Plains that the Inquisition began to flex its political and military muscles. Scouting parties backed by legions of warriors could quell the undead, civil war, and Freemen chaos while volunteers from Ferelden carried food and provisions for those in need of it. Naturally, local reactions to their arrival differed from settlement to settlement. Still, there was a general feeling of relief at the sight of the Inquisition flag from the Plains' most affected towns and villages. Especially with the arrival of fresh supplies and the elimination

There had been some hiccups along the way, of course. Local lords and friends of Gaspard and Celene weren't too keen on someone else taking charge of their areas of influence, but the truth was that Dark Sun Incident had done more to shake their power than the Inquisition could ever hope to do. As far as the nation of Orlais was concerned, The Exalted Plains did indeed belong to Alduin, and until he revealed himself to them, they would wait and see what his next move would be.

Rayara wondered what would have been her reaction if she didn't know the man behind the incident. Suppose they hadn't met in that battle for Haven; what would she have done when she saw that?

"Going through some reports?"

The Nord's voice brought her back to the present. "Just some letters from Leliana and Josephine. With Alduin's help, we're making good progress in the region."

Rayara looked up from her papers. "You thought about how Alduin relates to the Inquisition?"

"A simple alliance. "Hardvak replied. "After the Incident, the Inquisition was the first to call upon Alduin. After witnessing the Herald of Andraste's ability to close the Rifts, he accepted their offer to help bring peace to his region."

"His region?"

"He can't very well go back on his word after carving it into the sun." Hardvak chuckled. "The Inquisition acts under his orders in regards to the Exalted Plains."

"You giving me orders now?" Rayara chuckled.

Hardvak nodded. "That's the myth I want to build up. Enough power to make everyone note that he's in charge, but vague enough to have your organization act in his stead."

"You know, if you want to go ahead and be in charge, I could use a vacation."

Hardvak took a moment to picture himself at the head of Rayara's organization before shaking his head as the thought collapsed into fire and smoke. "I think I'd do more harm than good. Besides, my ego's big enough as it is."

The Inquisitor nodded. "If you say so, I'll write to Josephine, letting her know our strategy in this arena. Should clear up a few headaches you gave her."

"Send her my regards," Hardvak said with a frown. "She's capable enough to deal with anything, but let her know I'm sorry for the added trouble I've put on her plate."

"No need to make her feel special." Rayara laughed. "You put trouble on everyone's plate with that stunt. Even Corypheus' troops have paused their movements, trying to get their bearings."

"Nice to turn the tables on them?" Hardvak asked.

Rayara smirked. "Definitely. Now, all we have to do is press the advantage."

"Any idea what they're going for?" Hardvak asked. "I've only encountered a few Red Templars in the Plains."

Rayara sighed as she looked over a scout's summary of troop movements. "As far as we can tell, Corypheus divided his forces after the attack at Haven. Spread them out over Orlais and Ferelden to sow as much chaos as he could. One of my latest reports tells me there's a growing number of them in the Arbor Wilds, but I'm not sure why they'd be concentrating there."