Chapter 27. Contrary to expectation

Start from the beginning

Their eyes met and he dared his mother to speak. Damn, he did not want to be here wasting time talking to his mother. He wanted to be with Laura. God, he was worried.

Diane's shoulders slumped down as the words her son said registered with her. 

"No!" she said.

"Yes I did, " Cody told her through gritted teeth, holding up his finger in a warning gesture to her, "Do not say another word about it."

"But. . ." her voice faltered.

"But what? " Cody hissed, "That I am that perfect son of yours who does nothing wrong? Huh? Think again, mom!" he paced around the kitchen waving his arms around in anger, "Dad would be proud though, he would without no doubt give me an A in performance for nailing the hottest woman in town."

He stopped as he got to the counter, there he turned around and stared at his mother.

Diane gaped at him. Slowly she raised her hand to cover her mouth.

"Cody!" she gasped.

Cody leant his head to the side and watched her. Then he shook his head.

"You know it's the truth." he said short, pushing himself from the counter, "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check on Laura."

With another finger of warning held up in front of her, he walked out from the kitchen to head for Laura's bedroom.

/   / 

Flinging the door open to her bedroom he stared with horror at the vision of Laura  lying on the bed. Lance and Phil stood up as he entered and both of them gazed at him with distress.

"Is she completely nuts, Cody?" Phil asked shaking his head as he motioned outside the room.

"Yeah. . I think so. "Cody answered shortly, making his way over to Laura, squatting down beside her by the bed. "How is she?"

"Out for the count!" Lance stated flatly with his mouth in a grim line. "I think her nose is broken, we need to get her to the hospital."

Cody clenched his teeth hard. His mother had not heard the last of this yet . . . oh no!

"I'll take her, " he said determined  and stood up, "You two, try and talk some sense into my bat-shit crazy mother will you?. I think she will be more receptive now than she was earlier." Cody scooped Laura up carefully and carried her from her room. When he got out in the hallway he turned and looked at his friends.

"Well, if my mother continues being such an idiot, you have my permission to clog her mouth thoroughly." he said loud enough for his mother to hear, and before turning around to leave, he added, "She sometimes has a nasty habit of being totally unable to put a sock in it."

~     ~      ~       ~ 

Neal glared at his watch. It was late. . but not too late.

He owed it to her, to give her a call. To tell her how sorry he was, that he had to split so suddenly when he was so close to having her. That particular flaw was driving him out of his mind, and he damned Kay to hell to have been the one interrupting him.

It was like he was cursed with bad luck.

As he flipped the pages in his phonebook, he reached for his new cellphone, his lips in a flat grim line.

The signals sounded and he listened intently staring straight into the wall opposite him. Damn this ugly and worn down motel. He had to take her somewhere else.

When about 5 signals had passed, he started to get impatient, and when 10 had passed he was down -right furious. Not again. He would not be able to control his temper if this bad luck of his would last any longer.