Chapter 24. Some god forsaken bad excuse

The tension in the kitchen at this late hour was more than tangible.

And it was thick enough to cut with a knife.

Laura looked at Lance with a scowl.

"Well?" she inquired as they all sat down around the table, the chairs making screeching noises as they were pulled out and then drawn back in again, "By the look on your faces, I guess you did not find him."

She gazed around at the boys. Reluctantly she realized that Cody avoided her eyes. He just stared down on the flat surface of the table, his jaw rigid. She did not dare to clamor for his attention, he looked to curt for that.

"Where are the girls?" Lance said in a futile attempt to avoid the question from his mother. Believe it or not, but the tension got even thicker than it had been two seconds ago as he did that.

"I sent them home." Laura said shortly, "Answer my question, Lance."

He gave her a sour stare, pouting his lips with defeat. He did not really want to answer her question.

"No! We did not find the 'guy'. . .Not even Kay knows where to find him now." There you have it.

Laura did not even bother to try and hide it, her face fell completely and she stared at her boys and Cody with her mouth agape.

"Not even Kay?" she said with a gasp.

"No." Lance shook his head at her. "And we all know why."

"Yeah, " Phil added, "He knows he's in big trouble. . ."

Cody muttered and continued to stare into the table's surface.

"The understatement of the fuckin' year." he bit the last word off with a growl. Slowly he raised his gaze and met Laura's eyes. In an instant his heart began to beat harder and faster, and he felt a palatable warmth disperse all over his body.

To him, she was pure beauty.

It was as simple as that, and he could not get enough of her.

Not even of the simplest thing as the sight of her. He could easily stare at her forever.

A small seductive grin played at the corner of his lips as he connected with her, knowing that she was not as unaffected as she tried to appear. He could see that she struggled to keep a straight face in front of her sons.

"Well, I don't know, " she suddenly said and looked down in the floor. "Maybe he is not. . "

"What?" Lance huffed out. Cody and Phil just made huge eyes at her and furrowed their brows.

"What do you mean? He must be. "