Chapter Six

Mathias

The minute I heard her say something about being safe and that she is in danger my interest piqued. I wanted to know what they were talking about, but I continued to stand my ground. I knew that I couldn't just take the phone from her and demand that he tell me what was going on. I had to let her come to me.

It was the only way.

When she looked pale in the mirror in front of her, I closed the distance between us and pressed my body into hers. I could feel how damn tense she was and the moment I put my hand on her hip, her body started to melt slowly into mine.

I knew whatever he said scared the shit out of her, but I wouldn't let her fall. I would catch her and play the white knight until she realized that he was nothing more than a fuck up who didn't give a damn about her.

If she was in trouble, it was going to be his fault. He was going to be the one I went after when she needed protection. He was the type to throw everyone else under the bus while he skated by clean and unharmed. That wasn't happening this time. Not after I bailed his ass out of the first problem.

Steven Marks was the biggest drug dealer in this state. He and I had a business agreement, and if he went against me after I paid him off for the shit Aldrick did, then I would declare war against him and his entire empire.

I wouldn't let Cadence be a pawn in their shit, and I would protect her until my dying breath. A war with Marks wouldn't be smart business practice, but if he's threatening her, then I won't hesitate.

Grabbing the phone from her hand, I put it to my ear and close my eyes. "What?" I demand. I'm done with this fucker. He has done nothing but ruin Cadence's life over the last year, and it pisses me the fuck off. I knew I should have made my move years ago when I first saw her at the football game.

"She's in danger." He states. I rub my thumb in small circles on her hip, and I feel her body start to drop. Cursing under my breath, I wrap my arm around her and take most of her weight.

"I need more than that," I growl. "What the fuck did you get her involved in?"

"Fuck you, Mathias. I didn't do shit. Once word got out that you saved my ass, they knew you'd help out again. What I've heard is that they are coming for her next. They heard how much you forked out for me and now they think you'll toss more out for her."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "Who did you tell?" I ask, my voice low and lethal. The only way anyone knew about the money changing hands is by either Aldrick or Cadence. Cadence hasn't had any contact with anyone outside of Kelsey. I don't think she would continue to throw out that information when she clearly doesn't want people to know that she sold off her virginity to me.

"Who. Did. You. Tell?" I grit out when he doesn't answer me the first time.

"I didn't tell anyone shit. How do I know you didn't tell everyone that you pretty much bought my stepsister for a year."

"Who the fuck is after Cadence?" I can feel my heart racing with anger. I want to take out anyone who would try and touch her. Aldrick is about to cross me, and he isn't going to like how things end.

"I don't know." He sighs over the line. I'm going to kill him myself.

"Figure it the fuck out. I need to know how to protect her." Her body slumps even more, and I know that she's fainted. "Shit," I mutter, walking with her to the bed so that I can lay her down.

"I know you have a thing for her." He states on a shaky breath. I internally curse myself as I move her body up the bed. Her eyes never open I feel like a complete asshole. I didn't even know she had panic attacks.