Chapter Twenty Four {Edited}

Spottedrose ran after the patrol obediently, flanked by Hailstorm and Snakefang. She knew that the pair were there to make sure she did not try to escape as they made their way to the IceClan camp.

Oh how foolish she felt, confiding in that evil medicine cat! She had acted like she cared, but truly she just wanted all of IceClan to die just like everyone else. "You're all as crazy as foxes," Spottedrose gasped as she struggled to keep up with the group.

"You seem more like the crazy one," Snakefang hissed in response.  Hailstorm cast her a sad look as she continued running after the patrol.  It left her feeling puzzled but she didn't have time to wonder why Hailstorm seemed upset.

She stayed silent the rest of the way, feeling her clan mate's anger like scorching heat in the air around her.  The patrol did not dare to stop as they crossed the border.

"Assume attack positions," Oakstar called from the front of the patrol.  Instantly, the group shifted into several smaller groups.  Hailstorm and Snakefang stayed where they were, clearly only really there to keep an eye on Spottedrose.

Not a single IceClan patrol was out in the forest as Oakstar led his battle patrol straight towards their camp.  In no time, they were all standing outside the IceClan camp entrance. 

"We will charge straight into the camp!  Take the elder's den first, then the nursery! The apprentices and warriors will surely join the fight; kill them all as quickly as you can," Oakstar yowled, letting his gaze travel over his patrol.

Each group nodded, yowling with excitement.  This is it, Spottedrose thought sadly, Oakstar is going to wipe out all of IceClan and there's nothing I can do about it!  With a loud caterwaul, Oakstar launched himself through the camp entrance. 

Frantically, Spottedrose pushed herself through the camp barrier as her clanmates swarmed into the unsuspecting camp.  As she crashed through the foliage into the camp, she watched in horror as Nightvolt, a gray tabby BreezeClan warrior, launched himself on top of Webstripe.

"No, please! Leave him alone," she wailed, as the whole clearing erupted in panic around her. In a flash, Nightvolt had Webstripe pinned to the ground and dug his fangs deep into his throat.

Spottedrose turned away quickly as Nightvolt let go of Webstripe's neck, letting his limp body collapse to the ground.  She vaguely remembered Blizzardstar telling her about the day that he had named him a warrior.  She could feel her stomach clenching with disgust.

Blood and fur already stained the ground all over, wreathing masses of battling cats covering the entire camp floor.  "They're attacking the elders," a familiar voice yowled across the camp.

It was Wildflight; she was perched on a tall branch in a nearby tree.  "Come down here and fight," a snowy white and silver tom hissed up at the deputy.

Spottedrose glanced behind her, noticing that Snakefang and Hailstorm were no longer guarding her. Quickly, she streaked away towards the elder's den.

The stench of blood reached her instantly, making her gag.  As she neared, she noticed several bodies littered the ground infront of the elder's den. 

Snakefang's body was closest, his chest still rising and falling rapidly with each breath.  As she stepped over him, she noticed his belly was slashed open and blood was pouring out into the dirt below him.  She couldn't imagine that this had happened to him in the short time that they had been fighting.

"Oh no! Starclan, how could you take Hawkslash and Timberstrike," an anguished wailing brought Spottedrose back to reality.  She looked up and saw Reedfur, the elderly brown tabby tom.

His paws were muddy and coated in blood.  "Snakefang just appeared... he ripped Hawkslash's throat out and then killed Timberstrike when he tried to stop him," his voice shook uncontrollably as he fought to keep his sanity.

"You need to run! Leave the camp! Run as far as you can," Spottedrose hissed, pushing Reedfur away with her shoulder.  She looked down at Hawkslash's body as she stepped over him, feeling her stomach start to churn again. 

Oh Starclan, do something to stop this slaughter, she thought desperately as she ushered Reedfur out a small hole in the camp barrier.  The elder didn't stop for a second as he started to race away into the forest.
~~

"What's going on? I should be back there by now," Blizzardstar mewed angrily.  He sat with Lilybloom in the Starclan clearing, gazing down into a puddle that had formed overnight.

"This puddle is here to show us an omen," Lilybloom meowed, clearly not feeling any rush for Blizzardstar to return home. 

"Yes, yes. But surely it's Starclan cat's duty to read the omens.  Why do you need me here," he wailed.  He knew that the battle was already raging in the clearing he called home.  His pelt was starting to spike with urgency the longer he sat with the starry furred medicine cat.

"There are things happening right now that can not be avoided," Lilybloom mewed gently.  She dipped her paw into the puddle, letting the ripples obscure their vision.  As the ripples dissapeared, a clear vision could be seen in the puddle's depths.  "Is that Spottedrose," Blizzardstar meowed obtrusively as he leaned forward and squinted at the image.

"That is Spottedrose," Lilybloom meowed, watching the vision unfold in the water below. 

"That looks like she is in my camp! And is that blood on her pelt? What is happening," Blizzardstar's voice was growing desperate. 

"Just relax," Lilybloom whispered, "this is her destiny."

Blizzardstar clenched his jaws shut, watching as the vision continued in the puddle.  He could see blurry images of slumped cats in the background, making his heart sick.  He wished he could see more, to know what has happening in his beloved home.

"I need to leave," Blizzardstar meowed again.  Lilybloom shook her head and wrapped her tail lightly over her paws.

"No, you need to unite our clans.  You and Spottedrose do not share destinies," she meowed softly, "She is meant to bring an end to the violence.  I am sorry."

Blizzardstar felt anger building in his limbs, he wished he could just close his eyes and open them back in his camp.  But right now, his camp was being ravaged by the vengeful Oakstar.

My poor clanmates, he thought sadly, if you just hold on I will be there soon.