Extra 02: Chapter 16

In which Barry confesses to Daniella.
_______________

Extra 02: Chapter 16

I'm fast.

Real fast. And there's no doubt about that. I'm 'run-from-CC-Jitters-in-Central-to-the-Big-Belly-Burger-in-Starling-ten-times-in-under-a-thirty-seconds' fast. But no matter how fast I can run, no matter how fast I can heal with the many serious injuries I get, this moment right here, standing outside the West residence watching the girl I love place ornaments on a Christmas tree, my heart was beating even faster.

Come on, Barry!

You've faced even bigger challenges than this!

All you're doing is confessing your undying love to your best friend.

Pssh, no big deal.

I deeply inhaled from the nose and exhaled from my mouth before opening the front door and walking inside. The smell of Iris's homemade macaroni and cheese and Grandma Esther's special eggnog. Nervously, I uttered the first of my probably last words to The beautiful girl right in front of me, "Hey Dani."

She didn't turn around. Instead, she picked up a little red Santa and placed him next to the little reindeers. Her sweet voice spoke, "Hey! Just in time. I am almost done and Iris went to make dinner."

If it was even possible, the sound of her voice only made my heart beat even faster. She wasn't facing my direction but I could hear the cute little smile in her voice. I slowly took off my coat and placed it on the head of the long couch. She still hadn't turned around, fiddling with the ornaments. Her cotton navy blue beanie sat comfortably on her beautiful blonde hair. She wore a rose gold cashmere sweater with blue denim jeans and her favourite white with black stripes Adidas Superstars.

"Are there awards for tree trimming? Because this is award-worthy."

And then she giggled.

A sigh of satisfaction left my mouth. I couldn't take it.

I had to hold her. I went up to her, spun her around so she was facing me and pulled her into a hug, my arm wrapped around her waist as I inhaled her scent. She didn't seem taken back or off guard. She wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"Are you okay, Bar?" she slowly whispered with sincerity and concern. Other than the snow falling outside, the moment she whispered into my ear, chills ran down my spine, causing me to shiver.

Screw it!

I'm going to do this now.

"I love you, Daniella."

"Oh, I love you too."

No!

Maybe it isn't too late to scream out 'You've just been Punk'd'.

I pulled away and looked deep into the gorgeous green and blue mixture of her eyes. She didn't understand me. She thought I was saying it in a friendly type of way. When really I meant it in a 'having-the-urge-to-kiss-the-hell-out-of-her' type of way. Taking in another deep breath, I continued.

"When we first met, I was naive and thought I loved you before I even knew what love felt like. And then you moved here and I got to see the girl that I had a crush on every day."

Great going Barry!

Am I trying to creep her out or confess my love?

This time, I tried to find a different approach to making this easier, "Look, I... Umm..."

"There were so many times that I wanted to tell you... When you were in the hospital, when you started the blog with Iris, the nights that we stayed up talking, your birthday, but I... I never did. I just... I kept it in," her face paled. She looked like she was going to pass out. Dani took a seat on the couch.

"After you met Seth, I was going to tell you how I felt but I was afraid that if you didn't feel the same way, I would lose you. That's the irony," I paused and bitterly chuckled and took a next to her.

"I was so scared of losing you that I did. I know I've had basically our whole lives to tell you this," her eyes squinted at me.

Okay, message received.

No sarcasm.

"And you're with Seth now, and I know that and I know my timing couldn't be any worse, but I just..." I have to end this. I need to leave before I mess up our friendship even more. I don't even know what possessed me into telling her all of this stuff during Christmas. When she was at the happiest time with her boyfriend and when she seemed at peace.

"I couldn't lie to you anymore. I'm sorry."

She stared at me. Her expression, emotionless. Tears started to form in her eyes.

"I... I'm sorry," I got up and grabbed my coat. I couldn't say anything. I walked out the door, making sure it was properly closed, I did what I already did when I was feeling stressed.

I ran.

I ran as fast as I could. I ran away from the house. I ran away from the tension. And I ran away from my love.

✦✦✦✦

so i've been meaning to write this for a while but didn't know how to portray Barry at all, so i gave it a shot.
comment, vote and even follow.
lots of love
Ore Adesanmi x