Chapter 18 - Formal Dining

I must have dozed off for a bit, the light had shifted. My body protested stiffly as I tried to sit up, that was the most movement I had done for a while, and some of the most stressful.

"Sod this." I mumbled. I stood up intent on going to my room.

My room – I hadn't been there for ages, but I couldn't face going back to Saizo's chambers, I was sure his temper was still trapped in there. My resident cat was snoozing on the verandah outside my door, so I sat down with him to give him some fuss.

"You've got the best job here." I said to the purring form.

I heard footfalls on the verandah and recognised the step instantly, sure enough Shinshoni rounded the corner carrying a large box in her arms. She sat in the waning sun next to me.

"When you weren't at the stables, I figured you would come here."

"Shinshoni," I turned to her, putting my hand on hers, "What's going on?"

"It's ... complicated." She sighed heavily, looking down and I gave her hand a squeeze, willing her to continue.

"Is it something to do with me?" She looked away from my question towards the castle walls.

"No, not really." She said quietly, "And yes, everything as well."

That was no help at all.

"Things have been so ... different since you arrived." I could tell she was choosing her words carefully so I simply waited for her to continue. She squeezed my hand back, and turned to look at me, misty eyed. "You are a very special person Lady Tamara."

"I'm not a Lady." I said without thinking, she said it with me, matching my tone.

We both giggled for a moment.

"You see? You have had a big effect on all of us here." Suddenly she hugged me, catching me off guard, after a second I returned it.

"I'm the one who feels indebted to your kindness." I fought back tears, "You accepted me without question, allowed me sanctuary, gave me a purpose and made me a part of your family. These are all precious things."

Shinshoni sighed, squeezed me gently and broke the embrace. She stood up and I did likewise, and I followed her and the mystery box into my room.

It felt like coming home. I pondered just how long I had been in this place, it never occurred to me to keep count, it felt like months now, Spring had given way to Summer at least.

She put the box on my familiar low table and sprung the catch. I gasped. Another kimono, yes, but this, this was amazing. Precious stones glittered as Shinshoni reverently unfolded it whilst I was literally struck dumb by its beauty.

The fabric was lighter, designed for summer wear, but it shimmered like the sun had been captured in the weave. A magnificent tiger, looking ready to pounce from a tree was the motif and with the stones embroidered within it looked alive. There was a cloak with a long train bearing the Takeda Clan emblem and it too danced with light. I stood there – stunned.

"Please be our Lady Tamara this evening." Shinshoni looked so earnest, "There is a formal feast tonight – it is traditional before we go to war – let the men you have trained, and all others remember this of you before they leave. Many will not return" She said sadly.

"Of course." I croaked.

She clapped her hands in delight. "Well then, let us start, we have lots to do" Her eyes sparkled. I never thought me wearing a fancy dressing gown could make someone so happy. "Bath first." She wrinkled her nose at me, "And we will make your arm bandage more elegant ..." She swept out of my range babbling happily, then stopped, remembering. She returned, linked her arm in mine and took me with her.