13. Practicing all day

I sat on my bed, bored. It was a Saturday afternoon, and Daveed was once again off with his girlfriend, Lilly.

The feeling of the cold barrel of the gun was still burned into my memories.

What I needed was companionship....

Maybe Anthony wants to hang out....

Eh, why not?

I pull out my phone and text him.
(Bold is Anthony, italic is Juby.)

Hey, Ant, what's up?

He responded within seconds.

I'm actually stressing over my lines. I really don't want to screw this up.

You'll be fine.

But what if I'm not!?

Oh boy. Do you need help?

Idk. Yeah. I'm at the theater.

Okay. Sys.

I pull on some shoes, and walk to the theater. For ten minutes I bang on the theater door, repeatedly texting Anthony.
Finally, it swings inwards. Anthony's standing there, and for a split second my heart stops beating as I am reminded how attractive he is. "Hey, sorry about that." He says, sheepishly, the afternoon sunlight reflecting of his eyes.

I bite my lip, refocusing. "H-hey. It's fine." He grins and gestures for me to come in.

"So, why are you so worried?"

He nervously shoved his hands into his pockets. "Well, I've never had much experience with stuff like this."

I snorted. "That's bs. How can someone as good as you not have experience? Please."
He blushed. "Its true." He began to walk down the hallway. I followed him. "I don't believe you."
He shrugged. "I couldn't ever afford any lessons, and the most I ever did were schools plays."

I laughed. "Oh boy, you have natural talent!" I cried, elbowing him shyly. "At least," I added, "when your not drunk."

He threw his head back, and laughed. I gigged, as we finally reached his dressing room where he was practicing.

His script is scattered across the room, and his garbage can is filled to the brim. It was messy.

I look around and the look back to Anthony. "Uh, stressed or not, this pigsty isn't helping."

Anthony reddened. "Sorry about the mess. I'm not very good at being organized."
I laugh. "I can tell. Maybe we should clean in here a bit? You'd probably be able to focus better."

Anthony shrugged, looking embarrassed. "S-sure." He smiled awkwardly.

I laughed to myself and picked up a costume piece from the floor.
"Wanna find all the pieces to your script?"
He nodded, and began gathering them from around the room.
He looks embarrassed and a little depressed.
I begin to hum, hoping to get him singing.
What to sing?
I glance around and see a Baseball Cap that says "New York" in bold lettering.
I smile.
Let's hum that.
I hum very quietly, so he doesn't notice, but his subconscious absorbs the melody.

Soon enough, he began singing. He tossed me a towel, that I threw into the laundry basket. "Start spreading the news."
He starts softly.
I laugh, happy at my success. He makes a face at me, and sets the stack of papers he calls a script on his table, next to the stage makeup we'd gathered from around the room.
"I'm leaving today..."
He take my hand and spins me in a circle. I giggled, as Anthony begins dancing with me.
"I wanna be," He spins me out, "a part of it!"
I join him the last part.
"New York, New York!"
I meet his eyes, and he blushes, our noses almost touching.
Kiss him.
He seems like he's drifting towards me, and I almost forget who I am. All I can think is how right being this close to him feels.
Jubilee, no!
I blushed and turned away.
Looking around the room, I smile. "We actually accomplished something!"
Anthony chuckled hoarsely, and cleared his throat.
I turn to him. "So, what are you having trouble with?"
Anthony sits down. "Well, I know most my lines, but I'm having trouble with a scene where I'm supposed to sing and be drunk at the same time..."
I smile. "Now, that sounds fun."
Anthony chuckles......

Wow.

Just.

Wow.