Chapter Five

[Otabek's POV]

"No, no, no!" My coach yells.

I stop skating and put my hand on my hip in annoyance.

"There is no power in this routine, no strength in your movement," she explains. "You're dancing like that lovesick sissy, Victor Nikiforov!"

The word lovesick triggers my memories of Yuri, the image of him cuddled up to me in his sleep pops into my mind. Is this what has been distracting me during practice?

"Maybe there is more to skating than that." The words sound familiar as I say them, as if I have known them for some time now. "You talk only about the physical power, but what about the emotions? The things that drive me to skate?"

"You don't need feelings to skate. Feelings will only distract you!" My coach replies, emphasising the word feelings with disgust.

"Do you know why Yuri Plisetsky won the Grand Prix Finals? His skating meant something to him." I argue.

"Is that what this is about?" Coach asks. "That boy has done nothing but drag you down. You were doing well in the competition before getting involved with him, he is distracting you. How do you think your actions have reflected on my coaching?"

"I think you could learn from Yuri and the people around him. Both Plisetsky and Katsuki came so far because they had found love on the ice." I reply. "Ice skating isn't just some sport to them, they have a reason to skate."

"Love?" Coach repeats in a mocking tone. "HA! What does love have to do with skating?"

"Love exists all around us." I answer. To be honest, I'm not really sure what that meant, but Katsuki Yuuri had once spoke of it in an interview. I want to know what that love is.

"That little boy has filled your head with ridiculous ideas," Coach concludes. "I forbid you to interact with him from here on out."

"He's my friend!" I protest. No, he's more than that... "He's my reason to skate!"

The taunting smirk fades from my coach's face upon realisation of how serious I am.

"I want to find out what my love is, and I can't do that here." I say softly before leaving the rink.

I'm not sure where to go, or what to do. Maybe I acted too rashly...

My thoughts are interrupted by the beeping of my phone. I open my messages and see that Yuri had finally sent me all the dance off photos from last year's banquet that I asked for. As I stare fondly at the pictures, I realise how happy Yuuri, Katsuki and Nikiforov look when they're together and an idea comes to mind.

I know what to do.

.

*Cheeky time skip*

.

[Narrator's POV]

"Come in everybody!" Yakov calls.

Georgi, Mila, Victor and the two Yuri's glide over to the rink's edge where Yakov stands.

"Listen, I received a call yesterday about a coaching offer." Yakov says. "Your new team mate is arriving in taxi as we speak. I want you all to welcome him warmly."

"Him?" Mila repeats with interest.

"Keep your hormones under control!" Yuri snaps.

Mila pokes out her tongue.

The doors to the ice rink swing open and in walks...

"Otabek?!" Yuri exclaims.

Mila clasps her hands together in excitement.

"Otabek has done very impressively these past few tournaments. I believe he will be a very promising student." Yakov announces.

"Uh, welcome to the team Otabek-kun." Yuuri greets timorously, bowing deeply.

"Yakov, aren't you taking on enough students as it is?" Georgi speaks up.

Yuri shoots a glare at Georgi. "You're just worried he'll do better than you."

Yakov claps his hands loudly to get everyone's attention. "Listen up! Otabek will need a place to stay whilst he settles his affairs."

Mila shoots her hand up in the air. "I volunteer!"

"Absolutely not." Yuri opposes. "He can stay with me."

"Discuss it amongst yourselves later, just get back to training!" Yakov orders.

Everyone scrambles away and retreats to the ice, but Yuri stays behind to wait for Otabek as he puts his skates on.

"I liked the picture you reposted." Otabek says, breaking the silence. He keeps his head down as he ties his laces.

"Oh, yeah...it was a good photo." Yuri replies, scratching his head and looking away. "Look at those two," he gestures towards Victor and Yuuri to change the subject. "You're about to find out how hard to is to train with the idiots."

Otabek stands up and looks over at Victor and Yuuri playing around on the ice. They look so complete when they're together.

I wonder if Yuri and I will ever be that close, he thinks to himself.

Otabek's own thoughts surprise himself. He clears his throat and brings himself back to reality. "Yeah...idiots."

"So why did you leave your old coach?" Questions Yuri.

Otabek recalls the fight he had with his coach,

"You don't need feelings to skate. That boy has done nothing but drag you down. I forbid you to interact with him from here on out."

Otabek turns to Yuri and looks him in the eye. "I thought I could learn more about love here." He answers simply before gliding onto the rink.

Yuri watches as Otabek skates away, his head ringing with confusion.

"Love...?"