Chapter Three

[Narrator's POV]

"That was awesome!" Yuri beams.

Otabek gives him a content smile.

"But, I could have handled him myself you know..." Yuri adds stubbornly, looking away.

"I don't doubt it," Otabek assures. "But I wanted to punch that guy from the beginning anyway."

Yuri's eyes sparkle with affection.

"Uh...Sorry for whisking you away but I thought we could grab a bite to eat." Otabek says shyly. "Since the last time everyone interrupted our dinner."

"Sure, I was glad to get out of there before Yuuri forced me into a dance battle again." Yuri replies, clipping on a helmet.

Otabek revs up the engine. Once Yuri is securely on the back of his motorcycle, they take off into the city.

·

Otabek and Yuri sit in a corner booth with dim candle light, laughing hysterically as Yuri tells the story of last year's banquet.

"I never imagined Katsuki Yuuri being so daring." Otabek chuckles.

"It was disgusting," Yuri jeers. "You should have seen the way he threw himself all over Victor."

"Those two are quite the pair." Otabek agrees.

"Can you believe I'll have to train with the both of them?" Yuri says before taking a sip of his lemon-lime bitters.

"Does that mean Katsuki isn't retiring?" Otabek replies.

Yuri smiles to himself, but keeps his glass in front of his mouth to cover it. "No, I guess not." A moment of silence passes as Yuri tries to wipe the smile off his face. He takes another swig of his soda before changing the subject. "You wonna see the pictures?"

"Pictures?" Otabek repeats.

"From last year's banquet." Yuri clarifies as he whips out his phone.

He grins and holds out his camera roll proudly. Otabek scrolls through the pictures and stops at the dance battle, his eyes fixated on the screen.

"I know right, that pork cutlet bowl looks ridiculous." Yuri laughs.

But Otabek wasn't looking at Yuuri...

.

[Otabek's POV]

I stare in wonderment at the screen. I can feel my cheeks grow warm. Am I blushing? I have just never seen this side of Yuri. He looks so happy. So much more free than the competitive skater I know. I want to get to know this Yuri...

"Can I have these?" I ask involuntarily.

The words just seemed to slip out. I look up at Yuri but he doesn't think anything by it.

"Yeah sure," He says casually. "Just put in your number."

"O-okay." I answer as I add my contact into his phone.

As I hand back Yuri's phone, a high pitched squeal rings throughout the restaurant. "Oh my gosh...IT'S YURI PLISETSKY!"

Yuri and I spin around in horror as a wave of fan girls rush through the doors.

They are heading straight for our booth, blocking the path to the door. Without thinking I grab Yuri's hand and yank him up on the table. I jump from booth to booth with Yuri screaming behind me. We had made it around the crowd, stood on top of the table closest to the door, but there were still a few fans in our way.

"Why can't we ever finish our dinner in peace!" I yell as I swing my boot at a plate of spaghetti on the table, kicking it all over their faces.

As the girls squeal and wipe off the pasta, I jump down from the table and sprint out the door, dragging Yuri behind me. We quickly scramble onto my bike and clip our helmets on.

"Don't worry, I'll take you back to your hotel." I say before blasting the gas on my bike.

The motorcycle jerks forward with such force it sends Yuri's torso flying backwards. He grabs my jacket and pulls himself back up, not daring to let go. We speed through the streets towards the hotel. Yuri remains silent as he clings to my jacket, I wonder if he is mad at me for kicking food at his fans. When we reach the large entrance to his building, my bike skids to a stop. I jump off and unclip my helmet.

"Uh...Sorry that our dinner was ruined..." I look down at the helmet in my hands, fiddling with it awkwardly. He probably thinks I'm crazy.

Yuri takes off his helmet and shakes the hair out of his face. He stops to look at me, his eyes wild. "Are you kidding me? That was the most fun I've ever had!"

Yuri laughs as he gets off the bike, his smile broader than I have ever seen it. Excitement and adrenaline radiates from him, thrilling me to the core. This Yuri, free and fun, I definitely want to see him more.

I take the elevator with Yuri and walk him to his room, wishing the night would last longer. Yuri unlocks his door and swings it open, but hesitates to go inside.

"Hey...wonna come in?" He asks.

I wasn't expecting an invite into his room, being that we just met. I guess it's normal for friends, but for some reason I can't seem to find the words to respond.

"I just thought we could hang out for a bit longer if you wanted," Yuri continues. "...I have games."

"Sure," I manage to stammer.

Yuri flicks the lights on and resumes walking inside. I whistle in amazement as I enter the fancy apartment and take a look around.

"Are you hungry?" Yuri asks nervously.

I can tell he has never had a friend over to hang out before, we literally just had dinner.

Yuri scrambles over to the kitchen and brings out a brown paper bag. "Try one!" He says, handing me a small, fried bun.

I try not to smile because I don't want him to think I'm laughing at him. His face is just so cute, as if he wants to impress me, watching me intently like a little kid.

Flavors explode inside my mouth as I take a bite of the bun. It has pork cutlet in it, egg and rice too, what a strange little treat. "It's good," I mumble as I shove in another bite.

"Right?" Yuri says proudly. "It's a katsudon piroshky, made by my grandfather. He's a genius!"

I give a muffled giggle through my stuffed mouth. The rest of the night was kind of hazy, I laughed so much. We ate more piroshkis, played video games and watched movies, danced around the room and disturbed the neighbors. I can't believe we've been missing this our whole lives, it's awesome having a best friend.

 I can't believe we've been missing this our whole lives, it's awesome having a best friend