Chapter One

*Reminder:

· Yuri Plisetsky will be spelt as is but to avoid confusion Yuri Katsuki will be spelt with two U's as in Yuuri.

.

[Yuri's POV]

My body seems to be moving on its own, mindlessly following the routine I have practiced over and over again. My heart races to the beat of the music.

What, you're gonna retire once you win gold? That's bull. As if I would let him snatch my title and then disappear; does he underestimate me that much?

Adrenaline courses through my veins. Anger seems to fuel my body, boiling up inside me and exploding in a burst of momentum and power.

WATCH ME!

I can hear the muffled voice of the commentator and the distant cries of the crowd. I must have done something good, but my mind is preoccupied.

Are you watching, Katsuki Yuuri? I'm gonna beat your record someday. If you retire now, I'll make you regret it for the rest of your life.

I'm so furious I think I could cry. My chest tightens and my throat locks up. But is this fury that I am feeling? ...No, more like...frustration.

My thoughts drift back to the moment before I entered the rink, voices rippling through my mind.

"Hey, does that mean the pork cutlet bowl is retiring?"

"That's his decision. He said he'd decide after the Grand Prix Final was over."

My whole world seemed to crumble. I have spent my life chasing after them; striving for the day I become their equal. I gave everything I had, but what is that worth if they just quit? How am I supposed to keep skating?

Yuuri Katsuki, he screws up his jumps but his step sequence grabs your attention. I want to see him skate with no mistakes. I want him to acknowledge me as a rival. I want to live the day that he gives his everything to chase after me.

I remember the look in Victor eyes as he threw his arms around me. I was his only hope. He was silent, but the way he clung onto me screamed louder than any words. I need to help Yuuri.

Suddenly, my conscience is pulled back to reality. My body tugs at my legs, willing me to jump. I feel empty and disoriented but I urge myself to obey its orders. My muscles are weak, as if something is weighing me down. It all seemed to go by in a blur—begging my feet to lift from the ground, only to stumble and feel the bite of the cold, hard ice. I knew I had messed up, and at that moment I realized it was not anger, but sorrow tugging at my heart.

I refuse to be defeated by that damn pig. He thinks he can throw my game by getting into my head and then run away with my medal? It's not over yet.

My head pounds in the rhythm of the music. I skate with every fiber of my being; pouring my emotions into every move. My chest feels as though it is about to explode. The world spins around me. Then the music suddenly ends with a pang to my chest as the weight lifts from my shoulders. My heart bursts open, pain and anxiety flooding out in warm tears.

Is it over?

My legs tremble uncontrollably until finally my knees give in and I collapse to the ground. I kneel there, in the center of the rink, watching my tears fall and sputter against the rough ice beneath me.

Was it enough?

The image of my fall replays in my mind. How could it be enough?! I messed up my jump, how could I possibly expect to be considered their equal?

The fall during my performance has left me winded. As if the ice itself has pierced my heart with its frosty talons. So many emotions are spilling out of me—frustration, sorrow, anger, exhaustion. I came so far only to stumble at the end. Even though I worked so hard, what if it's not enough to prove myself—to inspire Yuuri to stay?

I cry out and slam my fists against the ground.

"Victor...Yuuri..." I choke. "...Gomen."

Suddenly, I feel someone's body push against me. Two arms wrap around me and squeeze me tightly. For a split second, time seems to stand still. For a moment it feels nice, my heart melting in their warmth. But their momentum continues to push me backwards and as they fall on top of me, that moment ends. My head slams against the ice and the comfort from their embrace turns into pain and resentment.

Is that freak Yuuri trying to hug me again?!

"What the hell?!" I scream as I wriggle around underneath his body. "Get off me fatso, you're crushing me!"

To my horror, I realize it is not Yuuri clinging to me...

"Otabek?" I exclaim.

Otabek loosens his arms around my neck and sits up. "Sorry, I slipped on the ice and my hug turned into more of a tackle." He says awkwardly.

The clicking of thousands of cameras echoes throughout the stadium. I can feel my face growing hot with embarrassment. My first friend and I yelled at him for trying to hug me!

"It's okay," I comfort him as I wipe the tears from my cheeks. "I-it was kind of nice...you know, before I hit my head."

Otabek plays it off coolly, his face expressionless, but I can tell by the sparkle in his eyes that I had given him confidence. He stands up and extends his hand to me. I can hear the crowd go wild as I take it, and he helps me up. Just as I let go, Otabek slips and grabs my hand for support.

Otabek clears his throat. "Sorry."

Why did he go and run on here without skates, the idiot? Still, I found myself squeezing his hand tightly to support him as we make our way across the ice.

"Yuri Plisetsky's free skate score is 200.97!" The commentator announces as we finally step out of the rink. "His total score narrowly beats Katsuki's by 0.12 points to win the gold!"

My eyes widen, a mix of relief and shock swirling within me.

"You did it Yuri!" Otabek shouts happily.

He turns towards me but then hesitates awkwardly. Without thinking, I jump up and throw my arms around him. I don't know what came over me, but nestling into the crook of his neck, his arms wrapping around me...it just feels right. I don't have much experience but maybe it's because this is what friends are supposed to do?

.

[Otabek's POV]

I knew Yuri could do it! I was so proud that I wanted to hug him but I decided against it because he doesn't seem to enjoy contact with other people.

Then Yuri suddenly throws himself at me. I'm stood in a state of shock for a second, he must be so overjoyed that he's delusional. I smile to myself and return his embrace. Most people think Yuri is rude and self-centered but I know that he just isn't good at socializing.

"You should join your coach in the kiss and cry." I tell him as I pull my body away from his. "The world wants to see their champion."

Yuri clears his throat and smiles nervously. "Okay."

The clunking of his skates against the ground fades further away as Yuri makes his way over to the kiss and cry. I'm sure my coach won't be happy about me entering the rink during someone else's performance because it could question my professionalism, especially after the whole 'kidnapping Yuri on my bike' internet blow up. But I don't care. I can tell this is the start to one hell of a friendship.

.

.

*Note:

· Follow me so you know when I've updated :)

· Vote so I know you're enjoying the story <3