One Last Push Part 4

Bridge of the Covenant Flagship Final Absolution

From the very moment that Ziro's fleet had arrived in this god forsaken solar system, nothing had quite been going according to plan. First there had been that mysterious flash of light that had nearly destroyed his whole fleet. Then in the confusion that followed, the demons that they had been chasing through slipspace for days now had managed to slip out of their grasp. If all that wasn't bad enough, then they immediately found themselves being pushed back after the sudden appearance of a human fleet.

Now with how things stood, Ziro's fleet in shambles and had nothing to show for it. He couldn't allow things to end like this, he would be disgraced. However, his fleet was currently far too scattered to launch a proper counter offensive, and there wasn't much that could be done about it.

With so many of Ziro's crafts being reduced to scrap from the moment the battle had begun, his formation was now filled with large gaps. On top of that, the moral of his men wasn't fairing much better. Many of them were young and have never witnessed the power of the gods in action, let alone had it used against them. That left them all shaken, but this battle wasn't over yet. This changed nothing, if anything it only made this mission more important. And he knew that his men were strong and dedicated warriors, their faith may have just been tested, but he was confident that they would not falter in the face of the enemy. With that in mind, he did all he could to hold his fleet together.

"Shipmaster, Cruel Epiphany has sustained critical damage and is falling back!" One of Ziro's communications officers announced.

"There is no room for retreat! Tell those cowards to stand fast and die with some honor!" Ziro barked.

"A-as you command, shipmaster!" The officer declared in a frightened tone.

With that sorted, Ziro sank back into his command chair with a sigh. He never liked playing the part of a tyrant, but some times it was necessary to keep your men in line. And with how poorly this battle was going, it was indeed one of those times. Though, he was managing somehow. Slowly but surely, he was reeling his fleet back into a proper formation.

Additionally, it would seem that a good number of Ziro's smaller infantry ships had managed to slip past the enemy fleet and breach the atmosphere of the human planet atmosphere. Their mission was to locate and secure the source of that mysterious light. And last he had heard, they were closing in on it. "Is there any word from our ground forces yet?!"

"Yes shipmaster, we just received a report!" One of his officers replied.

"Then what are you waiting for, send it to my terminal!" Ziro commanded, causing the Unggoy to mouth a stuttering apology before quickly complying. Once Ziro had the report, he quickly skimmed through it. As he would expect, the light was the work of a holy relic, but the humans had built an entire city around it.

Ziro was unsure whether the city was meant to protect the holy artifact, or if they intended the relic to protect them. Regardless of the reason though, one thing was certain, and that was that accessing it from the ground was nearly impossible, and the sky above the city wasn't really a better option. At least based on the images his scouts had managed to capture of the city before they were shot out of the sky. The city was heavily fortified, large walls comprised of an unknown alloy encircled the city, and large cannon like turrets were built across the city in key locations. On top of that, the skies were also filled with human vessels similar to the ones they were facing now.

The report wasn't all bad news though. While Ziro's scouts were tracking down the source of the light, they also came across several forerunner structures near the city. The structures seemed to be power stations of some kind and his scouts believed with how much energy they were generating that they had to be feeding into the holy relic. So if Ziro could capture those installations, he would have control over the relic's power supply. At least then he could prevent it from being used against them again.