One Last Push Part 3

Outer Orbit of Planet Requiem

Jul 'Mdama was a male Sangheili (Elite) that was also known as the Didact's hand. Ever since the events of the Great Schism (The Covenant Civil War), the Covenant and everything it stood for had constantly been teetering on a razor's edge, always just on the brink of falling apart. In a state such as that, it made those like Jul, who still held steadfast to their convictions, somewhat of a dying breed.

Due to the Arbiter's heresies, almost all of Jul's once noble people had now been corrupted and had begun to abandon the oaths they had all sworn to uphold until their dying breaths. And to those who still followed Jul and the hold ways, the Arbiter was nothing more than a traitorous coward who would have them all bow to his new human masters.

They believed that the Arbiter was leading them down a path to damnation, and therefore was unfit to lead the Covenant. If bending to their supposed leader's will would condemn them for all eternity, rebellion was the oblivious solution. That was the reason why Jul 'Mdama's fleet, otherwise known as the Storm Fleet had positioned themselves around the Forerunner shield world Requiem.

Jul 'Mdama and his brothers had been fighting to keep the Covenant the way it was meant to be. However, their fleet was small and getting smaller with every battle. With the Arbiter and the humans both working against them, the war was not going in their favor, but there was still hope. Jul believed that somewhere on Requiem there would be a weapon powerful enough to turn the tides of this war. And if such a weapon did exist, he would do whatever it took to obtain it.

The Final Absolution, a name befitting of one of the largest and most powerful combat vessels among Jul 'Mdama's fleet. Though Jul 'Mdama did not take the helm of it himself, he knew the Shipmaster Ziro 'Modomai to be one of his most loyal and competent. That is why he had seen fit to place the Absolution on stand-bye while he led the main fleet to gain access to the shield world. He did his because he knew the humans were on to him, and that they would stop at nothing to deny him his prize. The Absolution was his insurance policy.

As for Ziro 'Modomai himself, he was to oversee the operation from a distance and monitor for any signs of human presence, or any unusual activity from the planet itself. If any such activity was discovered, he was to report back to the Didact's hand and await further orders.

Many among the crew of the Absolution were quite dissatisfied with this arrangement. They were proud warriors after all, and were eager to explore a world that was supposedly the home of the Didact himself. It was understandable of them, after all many of them were young and unproven. Ziro 'Modomai for his part was completely content to sit back and allow the upstarts their chance at glory.

Ziro 'Modomai knew he would join his fallen brothers in the great journey sooner or later, but he was in no hurry. And he had fought in the Great War for long enough to know where this could lead. The war had taught many things, that humans weren't to be trusted, and that legends weren't to be trifled with. Given its importance, there was no doubt in his mind that this world would be heavily defended, even if not by the enemy, then through its own accord. For every great treasure, there would be a great horror standing in their way. So they waited.

And wait they had, for several full day cycles on their homeworld of Sanghelios they waited. Through many failed attempts to breach the outer shell of Requiem they waited. They waited until they were about to give up waiting, and that is when the Absolution's long range sensors picked up an anomaly. They picked up an object of titanic size moving towards the planet at what would be considered a snail's pace by astronomical standards.

The object in question was moving far too slowly to be propelling itself through traditional means. However, it was far too large to be simple space debris. So Ziro saw fit to send a small scouting party to investigate the mysterious object.