Crash and Burn Part 2

Gunfire echoed down the halls of the Forward onto Dawn as the observation deck was transformed into a battlefield. Covenant rushed in from every direction while the Chief, Ruby, and Blake tried desperately to hold them at bay.

"This is endless!" Blake shouted after she emptied another clip of her increasingly limited ammunition into the enemy lines. Then when she reached for another clip and realized she was completely out, she couldn't bring herself to stifle the groan that came a moment later. "Oh that's just great! This couldn't possibly get any worse!"

"I'm so sorry Blake! This is all my fault, god why am I such an idiot!" Ruby apologized as she fired several rounds of her rifle, each one striking home and dropping either an enemy Grunt or Jackal. "With that said, you shouldn't say something like it can't get worse! You know that could end up jinxing us!"

Then almost on queue the voice of Penny, team RWBY's AI companion came over their intercoms. "Attention friends, there's currently two more Covenant boarding ships heading this way!" She warned.

"See!" Ruby shouted.

"What, there is still more of them!?" Blake hissed before turning towards the Chief. "This isn't going to work! We need to make a run for it if we want to stand a chance!"

The Chief seemed to agree since he gave a quick nod before speaking into his helmet. "Cortana we need an escape route yesterday!"

"Already working on it Chief!" Cortana responded and a moment later a way marker appeared on the Chief's heads up display. "Motion sensors detect minimal hostiles in the shaft we came in through on our way here. If we use that to drop down to one of the lower levels we should be able to slip right past the Covenant."

"Roger," The Chief said before looking towards Ruby and Blake. "You catch that?"

"Yes, sounds like a good idea." Blake replied before addressing her leader. "Ruby?"

"That sounds reasonable to me." Ruby answered. "What do you think Penny?"

"My sensors also indicate minimal threats in that direction, so I think it is a sensational plan Ruby!" Penny replied excitedly.

"Good, then that's the plan. All we need now is Weiss and my sister! Penny any idea where they are!?" Ruby asked.

"They're in between our location and the ship. I've already notified them to hold their positions until we arrive. Sending destination beacons to your heads up display now." Penny replied before arrows appeared in their field of vision. There were two blue arrows marking their teammate's locations and one grey arrow marking where their ship was docked.

"Alright team, let's move out!" Ruby shouted before she flipped a small switch on the side of her rifle, causing it unfold and extend into something akin to a scythe.

Ruby then crouched low and fired the thrusters on her back, propelling her body towards the far end of the room. Blake and the Chief followed soon after, Blake making use of her suit's cloaking device to try and avoid attention.

Before the group could make their exit, a pair of Elites quickly moved in to block their path. Both Covenant warriors were armed with a pair of Needlers, one in each hand. Their glowing violet quills promising a painful demise to anyone caught out by them.

"Get out of our way, or else!" Ruby threatened as she continued her charge.

The Elites chuckled to themselves, clearly unimpressed by their opponent's attempt at intimidation. Then they raised their weapons and they began to hiss as they spat four streams of violet energy needles each directed straight at the red clad warrior. Ruby dunked back while raising her weapon so that it was facing sideways before activating a set of small thrusters on each end of the rifle-scythe. When the thrusters fired it caused her body to begin spinning in her hands allowing her to deflect and/or shatter every single incoming quill.