coffeeshop (6x4)

title: coffeeshop (au)
pairing: mutsumi x shinomiya
word count: 2066
summary: Shi works at a coffee shop and Mu can't sleep au
warnings: none

  ┅ ┅ ┅ ┅ ┅

Shinomiya tapped his fingers on the counter top impatiently. He was bored, and he needed to work. The jobs at the local coffee shop were incredibly busy, yet boring at the same time. The mornings were the most hectic, and the rest of the day was a bore.

He, unfortunately, chose to work late which meant it was mostly deserted. There were only a few students browsing on their laptops, who didn't bother to acknowledge the beverages and food that was offered.

As the clock ticked away, Shi drowsily flipped through fashion magazines and chewed on pink bubblegum. He wondered why he even worked there. To get money, obviously. Suddenly, the door gently opened and the sound of the bell chime echoed through the room. It was a boy, who looked only a couple years older than Shi with long dark hair and glasses. He was very tall compared to Shi's short figure and wore a green sweater with jeans. The boy was holding a book in his left hand.

He walked to the register and gave a kind smile.

"May I have a black coffee please?"

"Uhh.. sure. That's 1.50."

The boy handed him the money and grinned again.

"Ok, what's your name," Shi said in a monotone voice.

"Oh, Mutsumi, but just put Mu for short."

Shi scribbled the word "Moo" on the coffee cup and poured the steaming liquid into the container.

He placed it on the counter and watched Mu pick it up, before chuckling softly.

"What?" Shi asked, confused with the boy's laughter.

"You put M-O-O instead of M-U, I'm not a cow."

Shi's face turned bright red and he almost screamed.

"Oh my god-I'm so sorry I'm so sorry I'm so-"

Mu laughed again and shook his head. "It's okay! Don't worry..." he glanced at Shi's name tag, "Shinomiya."

"Shi is fine."

"Okay, Shi."

Shinomiya felt himself genuinely smile for the first time in a while.

  ┅ ┅ ┅ ┅ ┅  

Shi looked forward to seeing Mutsumi every evening. Mu made him very happy, and he felt his heart flutter every time Mu smiled or complimented him.

He would say wonderful things to him that made him feel special.

The first day they met, Mu told him that his hair was cute. The following day, he said that Shi's eyes were pretty. The next day, he called him adorable. Everyday Shi felt like his heart would explode from Mu's sweet words.

Sometimes they would talk until Shi's shift was over, much to his boss's dismay.

One day, after a week of their meetings, Mu didn't arrive. Shi started panicking and cried. Sure, it seems a bit extreme, but Shi over-exaggerates and over-analyzes everything and was insanely terrified Mu was hurt. 

To his relief, Mu visited the coffee shop the next day. Shi nearly cried again.

"Mutsumi! Are you okay? What happened yesterday?"

Mu smiled. "Thank you for your concern. My brother was visiting yesterday and would not let me get coffee."

"Oh. Okay." Shi said quietly. Then a thought crossed his mind. Why does Mu get coffee so late in the evening? Surely that keeps him up at night.