The Hunter

" 'Death. Death surrounds us. Binds us. Makes us. Death to the Monsters. Death to the past.' That is the oath our students swear when they enter the Academy. They forfeit their old life to hunt the dangers that now threaten the human world. They swear to protect humanity. They are willing to die for what they believe and you want me to shut it down?!" He slammed his fists on the ancient wooden table the rage was obvious in the man's young proud face. "Do you know what they are doing for us? They are saving the world one monster at a time. Sacrifices are made yes but-"

"But nothing Lord Tiernan." A fair haired lady in a long black and gold kimono interrupted. "You are very close to exposing us as different from any other beings that roam this world. Your publicity-"

"My publicity is the only thing that is keeping us safe!" Tiernan interrupted, standing up and starting to circle around the table.

There were no windows, and the only light came from a few candles. This meeting was being held in secrecy, in the tower of Tiernan's ancient castle hidden high in the Alps. The room was dark and matched his mood perfectly. This place meant everything to him. His steps echoed strangely within the room as none of the members spoke. He stopped in front of the old heavy wooden door that barred his way to the world at the moment. Outside the press was waiting. Today, in a few hours, new students would come walking through the gates and make this castle their home for three years before heading out throughout the world and becoming, what humans now called, Hunters. They worked in groups, isolating and taking out any type of danger, or taking them in. What the people in this room didn't know was that below the castle the entire mountain held a massive "zoo" of new and dangerous Monsters.

"Lord Tiernan is right Lady Sakamoto Ayumu." A man in Native American clothes spoke up. His long white hair flowed past his shoulders and he looked thoughtful. "All of us are to old to fight these monsters on our own. Our people are long gone, and we are the only ones left standing. Perhaps it is time to hand the reigns over to Man."

"What! Hand over the Rule to those primitive beings Cheveyo! What about our oaths, purity, and our ancient traditions! We cannot simply let them fall and have our society be destroyed." Sakamoto Ayumu stated in a matter of fact voice. She obviously tried to hide her anger, but the disgust was clear in her face.

"If I may state the obvious Sakamoto, I believe they are already dead. There is very little left of our ancient ways, aside from you. My students are learning about our old ways everyday, or whatever is left of them. They are learning to uphold our oaths, and our traditions, as well as our prayers." Tiernan turned swiftly on his heel. "I am no fool my Lady, I am propably the wisest of us all."

"WISE!" She huffed.

"Yes. I know that there is very little we can do. Our only hope now lies in these young adults who are training to become Hunters." He stepped close to her and leaned over the table coming face to face with her. He lowerd his voice and became very threatening. "You always threaten my authority. But Europe is my territory, and you have no right to interfere in my business." He streightened up and smiled. "Now I suggest you leave. I have a press conference to ready for." With that he spun around and upend the door with a flourish that was so typical of him.

Cheveyo smiled slowly and shook his head, amused. Tiernan was an accomplished man, but not a very good politician. But he knew what he wanted and he would never stop until he got what he wanted, which usually ended up being what the people needed. A pure strategist, with a good heart. Which was probably the reason Sakomoto Ayumu hated him. The two had a big rivalry going on between them, it was fun to watch. She called a meeting like this once a month, challenging his decisions, the others had stopped coming. There was one of them per continent, and that was all there was left of them.