Prologue

*Note:

· The current events will take place during/after the Grand Prix Finals.

· Yuri Plisetsky will be spelt as is but to avoid confusion Yuri Katsuki will be spelt with two U's as in Yuuri.

.

[Otabek's POV]

I cup my hands around my mouth and call out, "Davai!"

Yuri gives me a thumbs up as he glides across the ice towards the center of the rink. Watching him act so coolly as he begins his last performance in the Grand Prix Finals, I can't help but give a small chuckle.

Look how far you've come, how much you've grown, Yuri.

A smile creeps upon my lips as I recall the stubborn little boy he once was. Okay, maybe he's still a little stubborn...but that is no boy.

I watch him intently, entranced by the balance of grace and power in his movement. He is so motivated, so driven. Despite his age, he is twice the skater I am because he has worked hard his entire life to be here.

You deserve the golden medal Yuri and just you wait, someday, I will be standing on the podium beside you.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by the painful thud of Yuri hitting the ice.

"A quadruple toe loop," The commentator says loudly. "A big fall there!"

"Concentrate Yuri!" I yell.

He recovers quickly and continues his routine-that's the Yuri I know, he won't let one slip up get in his way. The last few moments of the song are so intense it is as if he is about to cry. You can tell Yuri is putting his heart and soul on the line; jumping and dancing with everything he has. He looks so motivated, almost like desperation. I grip the edge of the rink tightly. I hate this barrier between us. I hate seeing him skate whilst on the edge of a breakdown. I am his friend now; I need to help him. His routine seems to drag on forever. I just want it to be over so he can win his medal and be relieved from this stress.

Finally, the music stops. Yuri grits his teeth as tears roll down his face. The sight of someone so strong, someone I look up to, crying...It breaks my heart. Then, Yuri collapses to the ground and in an instant I find myself bounding towards the nearest opening. My legs are moving on their own. Suddenly nothing else matters. I mean, this is what friends do right? Put their other friend before anything else... I don't care if I'm not allowed on the ice. I don't care what the people will think. I don't even care that I have no skates on. My feet struggling to keep grip as I sprint across the ice, I don't care. I just need to be close to him...