Chapter Ten - Marriage Proposal

Start from the beginning

#

"Rosie." Estelle called me as I was walking out of the restaurant. I turned around and saw her running towards me. "Are you okay?" She asked me as she approached me.

I gave her a confused look. "Yes, why do you ask?"

"Ever since you came back from your lunch break you've been out of it." She said. "Did something happen with Julian?" She asked me worriedly.

"No." I lied. "It's nothing. I'm just feeling a little bit tired."

She nodded. "Okay. Take care, sweetie."  I nodded and gave her a small smile then walked out of the restaurant.

I stepped inside the bus and sat down on an empty seat beside the window. I rested my head back and closed my eyes; replaying everything that happened with Julian over and over in my mind. I didn't know what I should do. I never thought about being in a relationship with someone else other than Nicholas, let alone marry. I was so lost. The bus suddenly came to a halt and I stepped out. Opening the front door, I stepped inside the house and closed it behind me then walked to the living room where my kids and mom were sitting and watching TV.

"Hey." I greeted them. All three set of eyes turned to me with a smile on their faces.

"Mom" My kids ran towards me.

"Hey, babies." I placed a kiss on each of their cheeks.

I saw my mom looking at me like she wanted to say something. I gave her a questioning look and she just gave me a smile.

"Babies, go and get ready for bed. I'll be there shortly."

"Can't we stay some more?" Adam whined.

"No, baby, you have school tomorrow."

"Okay." He said sadly and walked to his room with his sister on his heels.

I sat down on the sofa beside my mom. "Is something wrong, mom?" I asked her.

"You're asking me?" She asked. "There's something on your mind, sweetheart. What's wrong?"

I looked at her dumbfounded. "Nothing's wrong." I lied.

"Rosie, sweetheart, you're my daughter. I know when something's wrong."

I lowered my head embarrassedly. She was my mom and she did know me more than anyone else.

"Julian asked me to marry him." I suddenly blurted then quickly placed my hand over my mouth.

My mom's eyes suddenly lit up and a smile made its way to her face. "Oh my god! That's wonderful news, sweetheart!" I didn't reply and my mom noticed that I wasn't excited as she was. Her smile was quickly wiped off her face. "Why aren't you happy?" She asked me with a solemn look on her face.

"I can't say yes, mom. I don't see myself with him or with any other man for that matter other than Nicholas."

My mom sighed heavily before she asked. "Rosie, you are a young woman. Are you going to tell me that you're going to spend the rest of your life alone?"

"I'm not alone. I have my kids." I pointed out.

"I know you have the kids and you also have me and your dad, but that's not what I'm saying."

"Then what are you saying mom?" I asked her even though I knew perfectly well what she meant.

"What I'm saying is you can't spend your life alone; you need a man."

I looked at my mom incredulously. "I am a strong and independent woman, I don't need a man! I provide a roof over our heads and food on the table."

My mom shook her head. "Rosie, sweetheart, I am not denying that and you know how proud your dad and I are of you, but don't you sometimes miss the warmth that a man provides in bed? Don't you miss someone taking care of you for a change; even for once?" She looked at me. "Rosie, darling, I want you to be happy. I want to die someday knowing that my daughter is happy; knowing that she's okay." Emotions were starting to build up within me and soon a tear slid down my face. My mom handed me tissue to dry my eyes. "Sweetheart, please don't cry because of what I said."

I dried my eyes and looked up at my mom. "I'm not crying because of what you said, mom. There are just a lot of emotions in me waiting to burst out." My mom nodded and gave me a long and reassuring hug. "You should go home. Dad's probably worried about you." I told her after a while.

She nodded. "Are you going to be okay?" She asked me.

"Yes, don't worry about me." She gave me a brief hug and kissed my forehead before she walked out.

I stayed there for a moment; trying to gather myself up. I didn't want my kids to know that I was crying. Feeling a bit better, I stood up and walked to their room.

"You're still not asleep?" I asked them.

"No, we're waiting for you, mommy." Lily Rose said as she wiggled in her bed.

I sat down on the bed beside her and smoothed her hair. "I love you, babies, do you know that?"

"We love you too, mom." They both said.

I stayed there for a little while before I stood up and walked back to my room. I didn't want to eat anything; I couldn't eat anything. All I could think about was Julian and his marriage proposal, and what my mom had said. I did miss having someone to wake up to every morning, someone to make me feel safe emotionally, but those were things that I enjoyed with Nicholas. Could I enjoy them with someone else?

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add 'Divine Will' to your reading list, and follow. :)