Minah's Night

"How about dinner tonight?" I asked. My fingers laced their way through the chain on my neck. The little goat danced at the end.

"Where are you thinking?" Jong Suk called from a separate room.

"Hhmmmmm. The Willow? I saw it on our way home. It looked really pretty. Fancy." I called back to him. There was no response for a moment. The moment continued for far too long.

"Jong Suk?" I called again. No response. Slowly, I got up from where I sat and moved cautiously through the halls. I kept calling his name but there was no response. Eventually I reached a room that I assumed was his office. Jong Suk was whispering on the phone. The whisper became aggressive before he slammed the phone down against his desk. He wiped his hand down his face and sighed.

"I'm sorry! I had a call. You said The Willow?" Jung Suk called, not realizing I was just outside of his door. I ran down the hall quietly, stopping far enough away so it sounded like I had never been close. "Yes! I'll go get dressed!"

The dress I put on was the fanciest I could find. Flowers covered it in the most dazzling way. I was a beautiful newlywed. Jung Suk walked into the bedroom just as I was putting my heels on. He looked frustrated. Maybe even angry. I pushed the feeling away, thinking he was just in a mood.

"Ready?" He asked, throwing his blazer on. I nodded and we began our car ride.
I had expected to see So Hyun at the car waiting but I was only met by an empty vehicle.

As we rode, Jung Suk's phone rang. He was obviously disgruntled by it as he picked it up.

"Hello?" He mumbled. His expression became both angry and tired as he listened to the caller. "Fine." He sighed. Suddenly he pulled the car toward the curb, stopping seven blocks before the restaurant.

"I have an emergency meeting." Jung Suk said in a very monotoned voice.

"Wha-"

"Please get out of the car."

"Jong Suk?"

"Get out."

"No, Jong Suk! What is going on? This day was going so well until-"

"GET OUT!" He screamed. When I didn't move he got out if the car and stomped to my side. He opened the door, yelling at me to get out. I shook my head furiously. Jong Suk reached his arm in and grabbed my arm. I yelped at the pressure. He yanked me from my seat, causing me to fall against the concrete. My dress was unharmed but my skin was pierced with small bits of pavement.

Jong Suk stepped back, shaking his head and running back to his side of the car. Within an instant he was gone and I was walking quickly down the sidewalk. The only thing I knew was going to the Willow. That was my holy land for that moment.

I reached the restaurant and made my way to a table. I attempted to hold back sobs but I could not stop the tears. They scattered down, bringing my makeup with them. Soo Hyun's voice rang like the voice of a guardian angel in my ears.

"Minah?"