I stepped away from the door, not wanting to hear her brag about her angelic son again. Her words held some truth though, what was I actually doing? Wasting time. On the other hand, she was wrong because I received great grades and even applied to two Universities, except I didn't get a response from the one I actually wanted to attend; Warwick University.

I brushed my hands over my face, it was November now so too late to begin the year. I'd have to re-apply next year and find a way to make some money, legally, for now. After all, how long would I last with what I had?

I didn't understand why they hadn't accepted me though. I had the grades I needed for the Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training course. I'd have to check my e-mails and letters again. It didn't make any sense to me.

Laura walked out and was surprised to see me. I glared at her and didn't move so she circled me and rushed downstairs. Mum followed, her eyes red and cheeks wet. God knows what else that bitch had said.

"Mum," I said but she didn't listen, obviously affected by Laura's words. She shuffled past me and headed straight for the bathroom.

I went to my room and opened all the drawers and cupboards, rummaging through letters I had received. No sign of anything from the University of Warwick. I opened up Hotmail to look through my mail, still nothing. Sighing, I sat on my bed. There were probably too many people who applied so not everyone was accepted.

Just my luck.

I'd have to settle for less. Although this degree wasn't essential to have a career as a pilot, it would have certainly made me stand out and given me a greater chance of getting a job. "You called me before," I heard Mum's small voice. I turned around to find her stood in the doorway, a smile painted on her face. "What did you need?" she asked when I didn't bother answering.

"Nothing. Isn't it time for you to go?" I rudely said. My words seemed to hurt her  but I was so used to releasing my stress and anger on others that I wasn't even bothered.

"I'm leaving in an hour actually," she tried to prolong our conversation. I didn't know why though, it most likely wouldn't end well and she knew that. "So what was it that you wanted?"

Couldn't she let it go? Then again that's where I got it from. "I wanted to ask if you had seen any letters addressed to me... ones I might not have opened?" I was so hopeful for the answer to be yes.

She held a finger to her temple as if that would help her remember. "I don't think so," she said and my gaze fell. "There was the one Arissa dropped, but she left it on the table I presume."

I stood up at once.

"What? When was this?"

"I don't think you were together then but it was from a University, I know that much."

"You're sure? Because you're usually drunk so-"

"I'm sure," she snapped, not meaning for it to sound so harsh. "But it must still be here because I don't see why she would need it," she said and left the room. I couldn't fathom why she would need to take it either. Unless... no. She wasn't the type to take 'revenge'. Right?

I barged into Heidi's room and caught the end of their conversation.

"...but he's gorgeous!" Arissa exclaimed and I raised an eyebrow.

"I really hope you were talking about me, baby girl," I warned playfully, forgetting what I really came here to discuss. She giggled and shrugged her shoulders, obviously not going to tell me who they were really talking about. "Anyway, I need to talk to you."