{i do}

On February twentieth, 1797, there were three things that Ellis was certain of. One, that she loved Lafayette, two, Lafayette loved her, and three, this wedding was going to happen whether she was ready or not. Hercules Mulligan, her best friend since birth, would be walking her down the aisle. The dress that adorned her body had been tailored for her by him as well. It fell on her body gracefully, the white coloring bringing out her happiness which radiated off of her like she was the sun. Eliza was her Maid of Honor and the rest of the sisters were her bridesmaids. Lafayette's Best Man was Alexander Hamilton and his two groomsmen were George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. There were constant fights between Jefferson and Hamilton, but they managed. Four-year-old John Hamilton was the ring bearer. He loved the wedding but hated the suit that he was forced to wear. Five-year-old Aceline was the flower girl and she was proud. Sure, she was a bastard, but she still had the love and support of her two parents. Not to mention a whole village on her side. She was the sweetest and in her smaller version of the light blue bridesmaid dress.

     "Oh!" Ellis turned around to see the eldest Schuyler sister. She grinned shyly at her. "Ellis! You look absolutely stunning," tears welled up in Angelica's eyes. Ellis rushed as best she could to her. "Please don't cry, Angelica. Your make up!" Ellis tried to console the crying woman. The two had grown to be sisters, closer than Ellis and Alexander. "I'm just so happy for you, Ellis. Look how far you've come from the war." Ellis had to hold back tears, she loved this family. "Angelina," she started, but was cut off by a knock at the door. Angelica rushed over to open it. Hercules stood there with the rest of the bridal party. "Are we ready?"

     The aisle was lined with their friends and various family members, it was a small wedding. Philip was sat proudly with his two younger siblings, Angelica and Alexander Jr. His face read that's his aunt on her way to marry the love of her life. Philip and Catherine Schuyler sat by their grandchildren with a smile on their faces. Sarah Mulligan, the woman who practically raised Ellis, sat near the front. Tissues were clutched in her grasp and tears flowed freely. When Ellis stepped closer to the altar she could see Lafayette waiting for her at the end.

     Hercules let go of her and moved to sit in the front, he smiled at her. Ellis handed Eliza her bouquet and then faced Lafayette. Tears welled in his eyes and Ellis reached up to wipe his tears away. "Dearly Beloved," Benjamin Penn started. The pair had asked him to officiate the wedding, as he was of the government and a rather close friend from after the war. His family was also sat in front of them. "We are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses, to join Lafayette and Ellis in matrimony commended to be honorable among all; and therefore is not to be entered into lightly but reverently, passionately, lovingly and solemnly. Into this - these two persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together - let them speak now or forever hold their peace." When he finished his speech, nobody spoke up, Sarah did shed a few more tears. Hercules consoled her and gave Ellis a thumbs up. Ellis grinned back.

     "Now for the vows," Benjamin spoke. Lafayette released Ellis' hands to grab his speech from Alexander. Ellis giggled. "Ellis May, you are the one thing in life that makes it worth it. The first time I saw you was in your uniform and I thought you looked absolutely stunning," Ellis blushed at Lafayette's words. "You were fighting for this country and you couldn't have been more beautiful. When I left to fight in my own country's war, I wish I had sent more letters. Then when I saw you walking down the aisle, I knew that you were the one. Je ne voudrais pas avoir quelqu'un d'autre dans ma vie. Je t'aime."

     Ellis was the one crying. Lafayette had dropped his speech a while ago in favor of grasping onto her hands. He wiped her tears from her eyes and she smiled at him. "Gilbert," Ellis started. "I couldn't imagine marrying anyone else and I wouldn't want to. The first time I realized that I did indeed love you was that day before I left for France. Then when I came back, I realized just how in love I was with you. When you left to fight in France's revolutionary war there was not a day that went by that I didn't miss you. And now I have you. Je ne voudrais pas qu'il en soit autrement. Je t'aime aussi."

     Benjamin broke the happy silence by saying, "Do you, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de Lafayette, take Ellis May Elizabeth Jameson to be your lawfully wedded wife?" Lafayette grinned brightly at Ellis before saying, "I do." Benjamin continued, "And do you, Ellis May Elizabeth Jameson, take Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de Lafayette to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The tears flowed freely at this point. "I do."

     "With the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife." John passed them the cushion with the rings on them. John returned to stand next to Aceline. "You may now kiss the bride." Lafayette grabbed Ellis and pulled her in close. They kissed and everyone cheered. When they pulled away, Ellis admired the rings on her finger. They glittered in the light and so did Lafayette's.

     Nothing could make the happy couple less happy.

{edited}

-----

whoa. so i'm sorry that i'm really bad at writing weddings as i've never been in one that i can remember.

five chapters left