{un, deux, trois}

"Un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf," Eliza sang. Philip repeated it and Ellis continued. "Good! Un deux trois quatre cinq six sept huit neuf." He repeated it but changed the melody at "sept."

     "Sept huit neuf," Eliza corrected him. He repeated it, trying to get it right. She corrected him again before they finish in English altogether. "One two three four five six seven eight nine!" 

     "Good," Eliza turned to Ellis, who is resting her swollen feet. She was pregnant with Lafayette's child. He had returned not too long ago, but only was able to spend a month and the two had made the most out of the time they had had. "Ellis, I'm going to get Alexander," she nodded. "I'll be fine down here, Eliza. Philip and I will practice together." Philip beamed up at his Aunt Ellis. Eliza left the pair, sounds of french counting rang in her ears. 

     "Take a break," Alexander doesn't move and called, "I am on my way!" The letter to Angelica in his grasp. Eliza came up behind him and rested her hand on his shoulder. "There's a surprise before supper and it cannot wait." Alexander turned in his seat to face his wife. "I'll be there in just a moment, save my plate." 

     Eliza pulled his quill from Alexander's grasp. "Alexander," she started sternly. He threw his hands up in resignation, "Okay, okay." The walk down together to find Ellis on her feet with a glass of water in her hands and a very excited Philip at the piano. "Your son is nine years old today," Eliza explained. "And he's got something that he'd like to say." Ellis interrupted Eliza, "He's been practicing all day." They giggle, "Philip take it away!"

     "Daddy, daddy, look," he shouted enthusiastically. "My name is Philip, I am a poet. I wrote this poem just to show it. And I just turned nine. You can write rhymes but you can't write mine!" He started getting more enthusiastic as his father also grew excited with him. 

     "I practice french and play piano with my mother. I have a sister, but I want a little brother." The adults chuckle at that. "My daddy's trying to start America's bank. Un deux trois quatre cinq!" The rooms broke out into claps and a "Bravo!" from Alexander. Ellis gathered Philip up in a hug while his parents talked, Eliza trying to convince Alex to go upstate with us. 

     Summer came quick and before they know it, Ellis was seven months and heavily pregnant. Her baby would most likely arrive during their vacation. "Alexander!" Eliza called. "Come downstairs, Angelica is arriving today!" A carriage pulled up to the residence and Eliza ran outside to meet her sister. Ellis followed but stayed in the shade of the porch. When Angelica approached her, the first thing she did was hug her and congratulate her on making a life. Only when the carriage pulled away from the residence did she notice that Alexander did not join them upstate. 

{edited}