{a foggy day}

Ellis was due to leave the next morning. At the moment, however, she was enjoying the company of her friends. It would be a while until she saw any of them for a while. 

     "Mulligan," Ellis called. "What do we have planned for the rest of the day?" Mulligan looked outside to the clouded-over sky with a frown. "We'll have to stay inside the tents, but we can figure something out." Ellis pulled her thin blanket closer to her chest, covering the thin nightgown she still wore. She didn't want to get up.

     "Alright then," she resigned with a huff. "Can you step out then? I need to change." 

     Mulligan nodded and when he was out, Ellis leaped out of her cot. She pulled on a thin dress over a corset, opting out of all the rest of the layers. The dress was half-way up when someone flung the opening of the tent open. Ellis screamed and the intruder's eyes widened before they slapped their hands over their eyes. "Pardon! Je ne voulais pas vous deranger! Pardon!"

     Ellis hastily yanked up the rest of her dress before giggling. "Lafayette!" 

     He chuckled nervously, "Pardon, mademoiselle, I will be leaving now." His hands were still over his eyes and he tried to feel for the entrance. He fell over a cot and landed on the other side of it. Ellis giggled again. "Lafayette, I'm dressed, it's fine." He blushed. 

     "I am truly sorry, mademoiselle. I did not mean to intrude." He bowed his head. 

     "It's fine, Lafayette. Truly," Ellis repeated herself. "I just came in to tell you that Washington wanted to speak with us." Ellis nodded and exited the tent with Lafayette at her side. It had started raining, drenching everything in sight. She grabbed a nearby coat. By the time they had reached Washington's tent, Ellis had regretted only wearing her thin dress and corset. The tent was darker than the outside, only a single candle had been lit. 

     "Jameson," Washington spoke from his desk. He was in the process of lighting the second candle though materials were scarce. "A carriage is waiting to take you and Lafayette to the next carriage. The British caught wind of the fact that we were transporting a spy to France so we need to move you today instead." Ellis nodded. She had already packed all her belongings, expecting something like this to happen. 

     "You leave in an hour." 

{edited}