{sir}

"From what you've gathered, Jameson, we should be ready for future attacks on the way." 

     Ellis stood in the middle of Washington's tent for a short briefing. "Sir, I wish I could do more." She bowed her head and Washington shook his. "You did as much as you could do in the time that you had. I respect that." 

     "I just," Ellis trailed off. She pulled her gloves off of her hands. "Really want us to win this war. I just want for it to be over." Silence overcame the two soldiers. "Jameson," Washington hesitated. "I want to send you to France." Ellis' eyes widened. France? But that was so far. "Sir?"

     "France," he paused. "Would be good for you. You will be helping us and our French allies. You'd be coming back with more soldiers. Helping out our ranks over there. I would send Marquis de Lafayette with you for the first few trips, but we need him here. Thomas Jefferson is there, so I believe that you'll be in good hands." Ellis opened her mouth to argue but was cut off. "That'll be all, Jameson." He dismissed her with a wave of his hand and a dismissive glance. "Be prepared for transfer in two weeks."

     Ellis pushed out of Washington's tent. He couldn't be serious, but she knew that he was. She moved quickly to Mulligan's tent and ignored the cries of protest from their friends. "Mulligan!" She grabbed his shirt and pulled him out. He looked tired and angry at being woken, but when he saw her face he pushed that away. 

     Ellis bit her lip, "I'm being sent away." 

     "But you just got back!" Mulligan protested. He had just gotten his best friend back and he wasn't ready to let her go again. "Where is Washington sending you? Back to the British? He can't, can he?"

     She shook her head. "I'm not going back to the British. I'd be too easily sought out. I'm going to France, to converse with and help our allies there." 

     Mulligan pulled her in close and held her. To anyone else, it looked like a lovers' embrace, but the two knew better. They were as close as siblings and nothing was to change that anytime soon. "How long until you leave, Ellis? How long until you get back?"

     Ellis was the first to pull away. "I'm leaving in two weeks."

     Mulligan looked down at her with an eyebrow raised, "And when do you get back?"

     Ellis felt guilty though it wasn't her fault. She didn't need to get an answer from Washington to know that she wouldn't be back until the war was close to being done. "I don't know," she trailed off. Mulligan let out a sigh. "Okay then," he looked her in the eye. "Stay safe, but while we have you here, we're treating you like a goddamn queen."

     Ellis blinked. She was expectin him to be mad, "Though I don't know what I've done to be treated as a queen, I do know that I can't stop you."  

{edited}